Topic

7 Myths about the Continental Divide Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable 7 Myths about the Continental Divide Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

A little perspective on Griz capabilities –

BearDamage

This was a 'prototype'. A 'production' version was never tested.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Greg, you might explain what is in the photo. I think I see carbon fiber shreds and some metal.

–B.G.–

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Yes, shredded carbon fiber and perforated aluminum, separated from each other.
    It used to be a bear canister.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Greg, can you conclude what was the cause of the failure?

In the photo, it is difficult to tell of the screws are countersunk. Or rather, where the screws used to be.

Aluminum? That seems to be a little on the soft side for a proper bear canister.

–B.G.–

Jack Marler

@jacknewman

Locale: Mississippi River Valley

I did a semi solo backpack in the Bob Marshall last August. I’m new to backpacking so prior to my trip I read several sources and I asked questions from a number of people to specifically get additional info on bears. I got the bear spray and secured it against my left hip belt. During the parts of the trip that I was alone I was still concerned about bears in general and the grizzly in particular. I was also more than just a little nervous about mountain lions. I saw bear and mountain lion tracks, no animals. Overall it was such a wonderful experience that I’m going back to the Bob this August and I’ll again have the bear spray. I really appreciated reading the first hand bear advice from you guys. So what kind of wisdom can you share on the subject of lions.… BTW, I cant begin to tell you how much I have learned in the past two weeks reading various post here…Great advice from real people! Thanks

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I don't worry about lions. If I were 5'0", I'd worry more. Even if one does decide I'm small enough to eat it'll probably get the drop and me and kill me before I know what's happening.

I don't worry too much about Griz either, but I do pay attention. Know when and where they're likely to be, and either avoid those areas in those times or make a load of noise. Don't surprise them and avoid well used camps (and thus habituated bears) and you should be fine.

I'd worry about Smoky Mountain black bears the most of all. They seem the most habituated (potentially), and some of the stories are rather frightening.

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

I've never seen a mountain lion, which freaks me out because I'm hiking in one of the highest population density areas for them on the planet. I've spoken to a mountain lion expert who said something to the tune of "if you west coasters knew how many times you were stalked by one without knowing it, you'd never go outside again."
    I don't know for a fact how accurate this is. But I assume it is. They're out there, they're extremely stealthy, and they like to stalk people. But they probably won't attack. Unless they're extraordinarily hungry or you're extraordinarily small.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I live in one of the large population centers of California. Just two weeks ago a mountain lion came out of the hills and got into a residential area (RWC). It was reported in somebody's back yard. A reverse 911 call went out to the entire area, the local cops showed up, and tried to deal with the animal. However, they claimed that they could not get a good shot with a tranquilizer gun, so they just shot and killed the animal.

Mountain lions normally hunt deer, and the hills are full of deer here, so I would not be a bit surprised to see some big cats wandering around. They do not normally go after full-size humans unless they get awfully hungry. Every few years some trail runner will be attacked by a mountain lion. Typically, the runner is a petite woman, so she looks easier to take than a large man. Further, if you hike with others, you are pretty safe. It would be almost unheard of for a mountain lion to attack a group of humans.

–B.G.–

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

"Every few years some trail runner will be attacked by a mountain lion."

To a predator, if it runs, it's dinner!

The only mountain lion I've ever seen was disappearing really fast into the forest. That was 60 years ago. I do occasionally look around to see what's behind me, and I suspect my dog would sense a lion or bear long before I would. On the other hand, such predators are one reason I keep my dog close by, either on a leash or on the trail directly behind me.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Blimey! Colorado in May without snowhoes? Very courageous.
    How about those bronze colored Colorado black bears!

Francis Tapon
    BPL Member

@ftapon

Locale: Earth

Samuel C. Farrington: Yeah, it would have helped to have snowshoes, overall. I carried crampons in May, but that was a mistake. I should have carried snowshoes instead. I never used the crampons because it wasn't super icy, even above 13,000 ft in May. The lack of snowshoes forced me to get up in the dark and hike when the snow was cold and pretty hard. It was a work-around. But the snowshoes would have been a burden at other times. Overall, though, it would have been better with snowshoes.

I saw a mountain lion in New Mexico and a few bears along the way. You're probably more likely to get hit by a car when you're hitchhiking for a resupply than getting killed by a bear. I didn't carry a stove or pot, so I never cooked at all for 7 months. That might have helped. :)

Francis Tapon

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Francis,
    I was surprised to see you have hardly posted here before so it was easy to find more info on your stove-less diet.

I could likely deal with extended no-cook also, but I'm more curious about how often if ever you made a fire since you had no hot food to warm you on cold mornings.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools