Topic

A Country Divided: The Continental Divide Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable A Country Divided: The Continental Divide Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thank you answering my question. Again, great job!

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Even if I can't read the story(s) until Friday! David, well written and very interesting. Hope to see more of your work here.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

Beautiful and inspiring photo essay!

I am in awe of all of you who can do such trips! The CDT is, at the moment, something way out of my league. I can't wait to start honing my skills, and relearning old skills on shorter trails so that someday I can attempt the CDT. The photos helped me feel both the beauty and the awesome powerful size of the CDT. Thank you!

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

It expands my soul.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

I think we humans need such areas to in order to keep our hubris in check, and to remind us of our proper place in the scheme of things. We are a part, not apart, and certainly not above, the Earth.

I remember on solo on my Outward Bound trip (in Canyonlands), how I was struck by a paradox that occurred to me, as I was hurrying to set up my little shelter before a storm moved in. The paradox was this: the environment is at the same harsh (it can kill us), but fragile (humankind so easily destroy it); demanding of me, yet indifferent to me and my fears. I looked around at the huge, overwhelming size of the wilderness I was in, and thought, "It is so big, and I'm so little."

It was a very humbling experience.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Thanks Kathy! Very happy to inspire, that's the highest aim.

I don't think that places like Yellowstone and especially Glacier are out many people's reach, skill wise (at least in June-September). The skills end is at least as much mental as physical, anyway.

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

Great piece, Dave, enjoyed it immensely and makes me yearn for visiting this fine area. One day, maybe.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools