Topic

Which Quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which Quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

I just ordered a Katabatic gear 6'6" Palisade 30* quilt . I think the width of it will be fine for me because I am a bean pole. My golite quilt is 59" at the shoulders and it engulfs me. I really appreciate all the help in my quest for the perfect quilt!
    Thanks
    Dustin

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Let us know what you think of the new quilt.

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Will do.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

I have the JRB model of the Sierra Sniveller in long, and it comes in at just under 24 oz. Love it. Will be going with me on my PCT thru this month.

The TiGoat looks good. I'd go with that or the JRB, although I'm not a veteran quilted; I just know how much I like my JRB than my bag.

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

OK. I got my new Katabatic gear quilt today and so far I complety love it!!! I was a little concerned about the size of the of the foot box (size 15 shoes are a little bulky!) but it is plenty big. I was amazed how narrow it is, BUT it is cut so well that it fits better than the golite 3-season long quilt. I can lay on my side without any thing close to a gap between the quilt and pad. The foot box is very well made and the diferencial cut makes it work very well for my large feet. I love the quilt and am excited about getting to use it.Thanks everyone who chimed in.
    Thanks
    Dustin

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I asked Katabatic about wide versions of the quilts and below is the answer:

"Our goal is to have wide versions of all our quilts available by summer.

We expect to have the Alsek 22°F Wide available by May 1st, the Palisade 30°F Wide available by early June, and the Sawatch 15°F Wide available by late June / early July."

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Existing shoulder girths are 52 inches.

So "WIDE" euals ? inches…….

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

When I asked they didn't clarify the width and I didn't bother to follow up to see what the width would be – so sorry don't know.

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Hey Rakesh – I've been looking at a Spirit 30 myself. MLD website puts the regular at 18 oz, did you weigh yours by chance? Do you feel the 30* rating is fair? Did you get the eVent option? How do you think it compares to the down quilt options? I looks to be a nice quilt but unfortunately cannot find much when searching about it on BPL other than one very exhaustive gear rating.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Ryan,

I don't have a scale yet… so I haven't weighed it (it's on the list after I finish moving and start my new job).

Mine is a large model, so it's a little bit heavier than 18 oz, but it's still surprisingly light. I've had it in chilly weather, but not quite freezing; it's kept me warm as long as I didn't let a draft in. I'm probably going to get a slightly wider one at some point (another "after I start working" item). I didn't cinch it up snugly though, which might have prevented the drafts when I rolled over at night. The 30 degree rating might be a little conservative, but I think the recommended temperatures that Ron has on the Spirit page are pretty close — when I was out in autumn with my Spirit (it was cold enough for me to put on my down jacket while I was eating dinner), I wore only base layers when I climbed into bed. I kept extra layers close by in case I needed them, but the only time I felt cold is when I let a blast of cold air under the quilt. I guess I could have prevented that by snugging it up around me rather than running the straps under the pad. I haven't tried that yet.

I did get the eVent option on mine. I can't say how much of a difference it made, but I can say that I've been quite happy with that quilt, it's likely to be my choice for non-winter use. That's what the Blackwelder was for :)

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Thanks, Rakesh – that was very helpful.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Hakuna matata!

:)

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools