Topic

Tater Tuesday! Pepperoni Pizza

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Tater Tuesday! Pepperoni Pizza

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

DSC03251

Pepperoni Pizza Taters
    Serves 1

1/2 cup instant mashed potatoes (roasted garlic or butter flavor)
    2 tablespoons tomato powder
    1/2 teaspoon onion flakes
    1/2 t dried oregano
    1 oz pepperoni slices, cut up
    1 1 oz mozzarella or pepper jack cheese stick
    red pepper flakes to taste (optional)

At home: combine everything except the cheese and pepperoni in a zip locking freezer bag. Place the pepperoni in a second bag and carry the cheese seperately.

In camp: add about 1 1/4 cups water to the mix. Stir in the chopped up pepperoni. Serve topped with the cheese.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I didn't get to try this until today. I didn't have pepperoni, so I got to try the freeze-dried sausage from Packit Gourmet that I recently bought. It worked great! I hydrated the sausage and onions separately from the potatoes, and I also added a little salt. Very tasty and satisfying.

I'm making a notebook of all the recipes I try and like, and I've categorized them by the main filler ingredient: potatoes, couscous, rice, and pasta. There's quite a good collection now, mostly from you and Sarah. Thanks for sharing all these and thanks for your great books and websites!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

That would make sense with your substitution. The pepperoni is pretty salty, so you don't really need it as written.

Mushrooms would be a good addition too.

**ducks**

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lots and lots of shrooms :-D

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

"Thanks for sharing all these and thanks for your great books and websites!"

I take it back! You two have an awful mean streak.

Edit – for those of you not aware of it, Sarah and Teresa know I hate mushrooms, so they enjoy teasing me. Our comments are in jest!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Lol……

I still smile about that time you gifted to me all the shrooms out of your Harmony House orders :-D

Funny thing is…after I had Walker I lost most of my desire to eat mushrooms. Weird. Loved them before I got pregnant but during and after, yeah…not so good. So I have quit eating them :-O

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Yes! I hope he threw them on the floor and walls if you ever tried to feed him any, as I predicted before he was born!

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

I just lined up a speaking gig for a local mycological society (in 2012). Kathleen should definitley come to that one!

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Is that the same mycological society that has a "Survivor's Dinner" every year? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sick that day, whatever it is, so won't be able to make it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Why does this make me think of after a trip a couple years ago. Ford and I had stopped at the Copper Creek Inn for dinner after hiking at Rainier. There was a waitress who had come in with her "pickings" for the chef to look at (he apparently knew his fungi) and she had picked SO MANY poisonous ones :-O

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

Thanks for sharing another recipe. I enjoy trying your meals as I have no skills in this area.
    Regards,
    John

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools