Topic

Patigonia Houdini at Shoebuy today only $ 81.25

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Patigonia Houdini at Shoebuy today only $ 81.25

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Peter Fogel
    Spectator

@pgfogel

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

ShoeBuy has the Patigonia Houdini Jacket on sale for $95 with free shipping and free returns. TODAY ONLY you get an additional 15% off with a spring15 coupon code…….. Plus as Brett correctly pointed out, an additional 10% off for a grand total of $73.02 shipped!!!

Peter

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Only Clementine (rust orange) and Gecko green colors. Sigh…

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I ordered one last week in the orange since I had to drop down to a small. I figured it'll be good during hunting season. :-)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

What color does Ben prefer? Blue? I figured many would like that green.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

from a photography point of view, those two colors are awesome in snow environments. Great deal!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Konrad, that you like the orange somehow doesn't surprise me. :)

Yeah, color preference is always subjective. EXCEPT for purple/green comble — now that one is just ugly! (kidding…).

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

hardly $81.25! a penny saved is a penny earned.

+1 purple/green

couldnthelpit

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Plus members get an extra 10% off. Just picked up a XXL in the orange because it was the only XXL. $73.02 shipped. Bad color but still cheaper than REI even with their 20% off coupon by $35.

Matt Stone

@mstone897

Use SPRING20 for 20% off. Comes out to 76.36!

Picked up the clementine for hunting season. Wish they had the blue though.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

Interestingly, this site and discount look great for shoes, too! =D

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have got to stop checking "Gear Deals." Even though I have 4 other windshirts, I am in for a Gecko Green. Hopefully it isn't the old "Day Glow" green as some sites seem to show it. I would call that more of a "Geeko Green," but since I don't wear my backpacking clothing around town, it doesn't matter much.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Can anyone tell me what the sizing is like for the current model? True to size? Mike

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Michael,

I own a large which fits me pretty well. Arm length is good, torso length is good and the extra torso girth isn't bad (my usual quibble with size large jackets). I generally wear a 42M or L jacket, FWIW.

Cheers,

Rick

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

True to size? I would say up to half a size too small — "as is". And if you plan on layering say a Montbell Thermawrap or UL down inner or equivalent — then you should go up one size.

I normally wear medium — sometimes even Small. But the Houdini Medium was a tad tight for me — still OK if I don't layer anything underneath. However, because I sometimes wear an insulation layer underneath, I switched to a Large — much better — for both layering and not!

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

still works I just got one

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

To contrast Ben, I got a small in the new model and it's a bit larger than the older small (also men's) my girlfriend has. I could layer a lightweight fleece or something like a nanopuff under it with no compression. I like the drop tail and hood on the new model a lot. It's also 3.8 oz in small, so only slightly heavier than the old model I had.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Mine was just delivered in Large and I will update sizing once I get home. I have an XL MontBell (Japan sizing) windshirt that was a bit snug across the chest and armholes and was hoping for a bit more room.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

I recently got a Montane Litespeed and a Patigonia Houdini, both in size Large, to try them both out.

I'm 6ft, 195lb, 42in chest. The Litespeed fits true to size, and the Houdini seems a little larger. With my Montbell inner jacket and a t-shirt the Litespeed will compress the down jacket across my shoulder blades when stretching my arms forward. The Houdini however doesn't affect the loft when I stretch/contort my posture.

FWIW

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

That sounds great! I am 5'9" 170lbs and wear a 41-42 jacket and have "monkey arms" and wanted enough room to cover a mid fleece layer. Any comments on the Gecko Green?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"I got a small in the new model and it's a bit larger than the older small (also men's) my girlfriend has. "

Now I wonder if the new model is now truer to size? The previous model was not. Some manufacturers purposely size their ultralight garments a tad smaller — to gain that last edge on light weight bragging. Maybe enough people complained to Patagonia??

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Jared, is the Houdini much more breathable than the Montane Litespeed? I don't like the Montane because it's not breathable enough and I'm wondering if the Houdini is a lot better.
    (my jacket uses Pertex microlight).

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

The Houdini Large is much larger than the Large Montbell. Where the Montbell was tight over a long sleeve thermal, the Houdini can fit over my FF Hyperion vest or my down filled SD Gnar hoody. In spite of that, it doesn't seem too big without anything under it. This is perfect for what I was hoping to accomplish and weight came in at 4.1oz Overall I would say that it is true to size or just slightly larger.

Based on a simple "blow through the fabric test", this seems to be much more breathable than the Montbell. The Gecko green color is a bit "more" that I would like, but I don't find it any less desirable than the bright blue or rust. Black or Gray would have been great but oh well, I guess it's OK to have one clothing item that stands out.

Just wanted to add that this is one finely crafted garment that has had a great deal of work go into it. I sure hope that the Patagonia folk's are taking care of their Vietnamese partners.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Walter,

The Houdini is noticeably more breathable than the Litespeed when using the mouth-test. I also like that the fabric texture is similar to those napkins that they drape over you at the dentist office – you know how it has tiny bumps or ridges? It seems like it won't smother your skin like the shiny inside of the Litespeed. That may just be appearances but I like it.

Functionally, the Houdini's hood is better than the Litespeed. The ingenious way of routing the shock cord like a headband in the hood allows the hood to cinch down around your head like a balaclava. The Litespeed hood still cinches well, but it's the traditional "face hole" with the loose hood still free to flap or shift around in the back. If the Houdini's tiny chest pocket were larger and used a vertical slit like the Litespeed, then the shirt would be perfect in my mind.

I got the Bali Blue color Houdini during the last Shoebuy.com deal. The color is really nice! With the 20% promo they were running, plus the 10% member discount, I paid $68.72 shipped.

Oh, thank you above poster for the MT101 hint! I just ordered a pair for $54.32 – seems cheap enough to try out!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

On the houdini, does it have a barrel lock right behind your head that you will be sleeping on? That would not be fun.

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

John – you are correct, it does have a barrel lock on the back of the hood

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools