Topic

Yowie Snowshoes REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Yowie Snowshoes REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Companion forum thread to:

Yowie Snowshoes REVIEW

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Well done Roger and partner for traveling so far on Yowie Snowshoes.

I used them once for a day trip in the Bridabella Ranges near Canberra Australia (when it used to have ski able snow) the snow was a bit soft but ski able and I spent most of the trip falling over, the only time that I remained upright was on some hard snow on a road with XC ski tracks. My snowshoeing partner used conventional Snowshoes and had no problems at all, we swapped snowshoes at the turn around point and on the Yowies he had trouble staying upright and I had no problems at all on the conventional snow shoes.

After a very hard day we came to the conclusion that Yowies might be ok for traveling from the bar to the accommodation at snow resorts but definitely not for back country trips.

Tony

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tony

> Yowies might be ok for traveling from the bar to the accommodation at snow resorts but definitely not for back country trips.
    Interesting. The Yowies we were wearing are the latest model, and I understand they have substantial improvements over the earlier generations. It may be that they needed the improvements? Certainly, the ones we have went very well.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Roger,

I will admit that the Yowies I used were an early model and that I have not used the latest model yet.

It is good that you had a better experience than I did. I might try them again next year if there is any snow.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Do you think the NEOS overshoes will fit within the allowable volume in the straps?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Do you think the NEOS overshoes will fit within the allowable volume in the straps?

I was using Medium Yowies and wearing size 8 UK shoes. There was a LOT of room available on the straps. You could get seriously large and heavy (sigh) boots in there.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

wow
    those things in the stock photo look like Teva's
    Cool concept

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools