Topic

Trip Suggestions: Cascades or Sierras in Late May?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trip Suggestions: Cascades or Sierras in Late May?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Justin Rhoades

@carlvp

Looking for some alpine hiking in late May. Wanted to do the Olympics, but snow will prevent this. Are the high Cascades doable this early in the season (late May?) Otherwise, considering suggestions. Sierras Nevadas seem a likely contender, but it's a huge area. Like to do 6 nights, alpine lakes are a plus (need to try out that Hane rod), and the more away from the beaten path the better. Willing to test our skills a bit with some snow, but non of us are technical climbers. All in good shape and eager though. Probably capable of some route finding. All suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
    C

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

In late May, you'll still be limited to low elevation river valleys, whether in the Cascades or Olympics. For the Olympics, the Hoh or the Quinault (Enchanted Valley) will be good.

Even in a normal or below-average snow year, don't expect any alpine areas to be accessible that early. We've had a big snowpack this year, so unless we have an unusually warm next 2 months (no sign of that yet!), it will probably be mid-July in most areas before you can get to the alpine areas, unless you don't mind a LOT of snow and the high lakes still frozen.

I'll leave the Sierra to those more familiar with it. I do know they also have a way-above-normal snow pack, though.

Any chance you can postpone a couple of months?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

California, in general, as 165% of a normal year's snowpack. Draw your own conclusions.

–B.G.–

Justin Rhoades

@carlvp

I guess I should say that alpine is desirable, but not necessarily required. We had a blast in Canyonlands late last year, certainly up for something along those lines as well, just thought it'd be nice to mix it up. Anything but Grand Canyon could work. Again, any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools