Topic

Best mug for morning coffee?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best mug for morning coffee?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Has anyone ever tried/seen one of these?http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZ9B5W/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A1729W3053T57N

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I've used these before and can recommend them for the light weight and compactness with the caviat that they only hold about 7-8 oz.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I have been using one of these over the winter-

ljhgvkjbh

Weight is under 2oz, holds 16oz liquid, insulates better than a metal cup, and is easy to mix hot cocoa or VIA in- just close the spout and shake. You can also close the spout between sips to drastically reduce the convective cooling of your warm beverage!

Found at Walmart somewhere in the $1.50 range

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

nobody a fan of the gsi soloist?
    i cant recall when i needed a seperate mug, aside from my cooking mug. either a heiny pot with reflectix cozy or the soloist with its stock cozy.
    as a set, the spork thing could be better and the pot gripper is overkill.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I have several I've pickup up on road trips. I have one that I got from a hotel in New Mexico last June, still use it. Weighs 4 grams. They last a long time if stored correctly and easy to acquire. I keep a second one for water collection, which could be used in an emergency in case of failure, which hasn't happened so far.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Forgot this one. I found it in a thrift store. 2.5oz/70g and holds 12oz/350ml. I think it is polyethylene and has a snap lid and a neoprene sleeve for insulation.

Light insulated cup

James Wyse
    BPL Member

@ravelyn

Locale: The Crossroads of the Revolution

I've been using a Snow Peak 450 ml. (14 oz.) double wall titanium cup, with the optional plastic lid. With the lid, it keeps my coffee hotter longer than anything I've ever tried. A luxury? Perhaps–but it's worth every gram to me.

David Rowenhorst
    BPL Member

@row435

Locale: Mid Atlantic

It may be a bit gimmicky, but I have been using the sea to summit collapsible x-mug. 2.2oz for 16oz of volume, takes up no room, don't have to worry about denting, crushing. But no handle.

http://www.rei.com/product/787278

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

I like my GSI Minimalist, there are slightly lighter options but as a "kit" it works well and is cheap. The cozy and lid for work freezer bag cooking in the evening. The spork doesn't work well for soups and I do not use the pot gripper either. I keep looking at other set ups but the volume and sip-it lid are perfect for me. Windscreen, cat can stove, and small fuel bottle all fit inside too.

Richard Barish

@rdbarish

Locale: New Mexico

Has anyone tried those silicone "Hot Lips" things on their titanium mugs? How do they work? I bought a Snow Peak 600 ml mug that came with one of those, hoping I cold use the 600 ml. as both pot and cup.

Christopher Heine

@heine19

Locale: Colorado

I also have the double wall Snow Peak 450 with the plastic lid. Keeps my tea hot for a long time. I really like it.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I use a snow peak titanium for my coffee. Single walled and have never had a problem with burnt lips. You just have to make sure to leave adequate room between the top of the cup and the hot fluid level.

Also using a metal mug allows you to make cowboy coffee instead of via or instant.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

I use a Snow Peak 600 single wall for both my freezer bag cooking and my morning coffee. It cools off fast enough that I can get to drinking it without killing to much time. Got to love multi-use gear :)

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

I just saw this while perusing a distributor catalog. It is supposed to be available after 4/30. It is an anodized aluminum cup, that holds a max of 24oz, weighs 3.2oz and will retail for $10. I think it is an interesting inexpensive option.
    Space Saver Mug

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

evernew lid

2.5 oz. w/ spill-proof lid
    can cook in it (single wall) using .1 oz. foil lid
    400ml (great size)
    stays hot with lid / add a cozy if you want
    my daily mug and sometimes cookpot – probably my single most used piece of gear
    $20 +/-

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

I use the Mont bell 600 cup. 2.8 ozs. Nice big cup and nice handles.also the caldera caddy is a nice big cup.when I take my whole family camping we use an extra caddy to hold all of our forks and cups.the threads are a little hard to wash but such is life.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Doubles as a sock dryer, sleeping bag/pocket warmer. The rigid model tastes fine for coffee, soft one is OK, but tea only. Opening is slightly smaller than the 1l size (touches my nose) but fits in pockets better. Others have described this system.

I use the 2 cup Ziploc (mentioned above) for hydrating oats/rice and will toss it in a jacket or sleeping bag, but it's seal isn't secure enough to do that when full of hot water. I met a thruhiker this weekend who soaks beans in them before cooking. I didn't ask if it leaks in his pack.

Tuck this combo inside a jacket, and I'm toasty. Good for making breakfast or lunch to-go in winter.

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

I have been using a SP 700 mug as my pot/mug/bowl, and have recently added a dedicated mug/bowl. I got tired of burnt lips for the first sips and cold coffee for the last sips, not to mention the later starts because I could only single task (couldn't start making oatmeal until I finished with coffee). The standard Nalgene bottle has a slightly smaller diameter than the SP 700, so I purchased one of the soft sided 1 liter bottles like the one here – http://asthecrowflies.org/2008/04/24/the-possibly-safer-nalgene/ and cut it in half after I froze water in it. It weights 1.6 oz, insulates better than Ti, has a measurements on the side, and I babushka doll the CC ULC, Nalgene cup, and SP 700 together into one compact package.

james w glenn
    Spectator

@bark-eater

cause it keeps your hands warm, and if you've got a fire or wood stove you can keep a cup of tea or coffee warm by placeing it in, on or near your fire.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools