Topic

Best mug for morning coffee?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best mug for morning coffee?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Ribbing
    BPL Member

@becca-r

Locale: Alexandria, VA

I've been using one of those crappy mugs that come with mess kits forever, but they are too small and always annoy me. What's your favorite mug?

I saw someone recently who used a yogurt container, but that seems bigger than I need, and I was wondering if it would be susceptible to melting.

Any other clever or more conventional ideas? What do you like to use? I don't need it to be duel use because I mostly do freezer bag cooking.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

The pot you use to heat the water for FBC?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I know you said you don't NEED it to pull double-duty….but why not let it?

My ti mug boils just ver 16oz and is a great mug. The rim doesn't seem as hot as aluminum and steel mugs, either, which I like.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I like this set up because it nests so you have extra insulation on a cold morning and the lid keeps it warm and snaps on . We have three of these for 3 people and eat meals in the outer bowls.
    $5 online
    Gourmet Nesting Mug and Bowl 77161 Capacity: 14 fl. oz. Weight: 3.3 oz. Dimensions: 4.4'' x 4'' x 3.3'' Material: Polypropylene Includes: 14 fl. oz. cup 14 fl. oz. bowl Insulated sleeve Sip-it topgsi

Carl Holt

@sundown

If you don't care about weight – I have a great mug that is like a Bakelite / melamine style of mug. In fact Texas-Ware makes one version and I have an older one (circa 1983) that is so great I've used it to pound in tent pegs and all kinds of things. I've carried it on probably 100+ nights in the backcountry on backpacking and canoe camping trips.

It isn't light weight though.

My lightweight is an old steel cup that I wrap in a reflective bubble cozy.

What can I say – I am attached to my old stuff. There are many more lightweight options I am sure!

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Dual use is not a bad thing.. 16 floz, total wt.5oz, woodstove-3oz, cup 2oz
    Brings a liter of water to boil quickly.
    insulated.

guidelite

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The best mug for morning coffee is the one that's full with piping hot coffee…… ;-)

I use a 5 oz. double-walled titanium mug for my morning coffee. I use it as my scotch 'glass' in the evening, so it's still got a bit o' scotch flavor for the coffee as well. And since it's small, one packet of Via gives me a nice, strong cup o' joe to start my day!

Randall Spratt

@genreviam

Locale: Minnesota

I use a used Easy Mac bowl. It's my cup, bowl, mug etc. It is insulated, disposable, and weighs .9 oz.
    Holds enough for a good sized cup of coffee, and my hands and lips never get burned. I tried lots of other options including Ti, but really like this option. It can be crushed though, so some care is needed in packing. I have not had an issue, but YMMV.Coffee mug

Rebecca Ribbing
    BPL Member

@becca-r

The reason I don't really need it to double duty is that 95% of the time, I'm going out with my hubby and my son, so no mug is going to be a suitable substitute for my larger cookware for three people.

The GSI ones look really nice. Do they nest inside each other? Ie, if I bought a set for each of us, would the all be able to fit inside each other without the lid?

The easy mac cup looks pretty nice too. I've also been contemplating the REI Ti Ware mug, but if they nested since they are decently sized. Anyone know of any nest titainium mugs that don't cost an arm and a leg? I love the idea of having a pretty scotch mug in the evenings.

I may just start with the easy mac cup and see how that goes first.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

The GSI's nest one bowl to one cup: that's it. Would I like to have 3(6 total) nest into one ? Maybe . But who gets to be Mama Bear, Papa Bear and Baby Bear? The Russians may have created military gear like that similar to their dolls , but I've never seen anything that does that.We each stuff the empty center with other gear , mostly meds,/ first aid in a ziploc so not much space is wasted when you look at the larger picture.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Almost forgot….

The "hourglass" shaped containers for drink mixes (ie: Country Time, etc) make great mugs and containers as well. Just cut off the rim w/ a pocketknife. Works great for hot chocolate or coffee, and the lid makes a bowl for grits/oatmeal. (The rim takes a little extra cleaning due to the groove, though.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

My combination mug and bowl is a recycled plastic margarine tub. It has a capacity of 15-16 fluid ounces, and it weighs about 0.4 ounces.

In the winter, I take two, and I nest one inside the other. That makes a quasi-insulated mug or bowl.

–B.G.–

Rebecca Ribbing
    BPL Member

@becca-r

Oh, that's a good idea. Maybe I will try this with ricotta or sour cream tubs. I assume they are the same plastic. It would be the perfect shape/size. Plus they would all be nesting. Thanks!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Cups and mugs in general….

GSI Cascadian plastic mug 2.5oz (simple, very cheap)

GSI Infinity insulated mug with lid 3oz (keeps coffee warm, big capacity, good bowl, bulky)

REI/Alladin insulated mug with lid 5oz (heavy, bulky, cheap, car camping favorite, coffee stays hot, good capacity, team it up with a Melita #2 filter holder)

REI Ti Sierra cup 1.8oz (a zillion uses, hot on lips, good bowl, tough, light, cheap)

Evernew 400ml mug with Snowpeak silicone guard 1.9oz (good minimalist boiler with Esbit wing stove, fixed handle adds to bulk, light, tough)

I'd like to get one of the double wall Ti mugs with folding handle and lid, but the price is steep. Good for coffee, can't cook in it.

The Evernew is the most universal and works for a "barely cooking" SUL overnighter kit rigged with an aluminum foil lid and windscreen, a Ti Esbit wing stove and a folding Ti spork– a 3.5oz kitchen. It's enough for a cup of soup and some coffee in the morning. The GSI Infinity is the best for a big cuppa, stays warm, lid keeps the bugs out and a good bowl for dinner/breakfast.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I assume they are the same plastic."

I doubt that they are. I have several such plastic tubs here, and they are all different plastics (judging by the numbers on the bottom). Sometimes you want one that is hard, but they can be brittle. Sometimes you want one that is soft, but it still has to tolerate boiling water heat. Some people want one with a lid, and that can act like a rehydration cozy.

–B.G.–

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

If I am going to spend a lot of time in camp in cold rainy weather reading I have…gasp… taken an insulated mug. If I'm doing little time in camp I've been drinking out of the plastic cups that protect my Caldera Keg. I made a cozy for one and the other can screw on top for a make-shift lid. I typically get things like Pine needles floating around in my coffee but I'm a pig… I don't mind floaties.

I've also heard of people just taking a disposable Starbucks cup which isn't much weight, slightly insulated and has it's own lid. You would have to be careful about crushing it but I thought that would be a good idea to try for cheap on my next trip.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I recently made one from a plastic cup from Taco Bell and a piece of foam from a Gossamer Gear 1/8'' Thinlight pad (although I imagine any thin foam would work). I taped the foam together so it can be removed and transferred if something ever happens to the cup. All told, it holds just under 3 cups of coffee, weighs 0.7 oz, and should last pretty long. It kept my morning coffee warm yesterday for about an hour. The GSI nested mug and bowl is also good and is what I used to use. If you take just the mug, it weighs 1.9 oz.

Mug1

Mug2

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Ive used the GSI triangle mugs. They worked well but I don't care for the flavor it adds to the coffee. FWIW I don't usually taste anything from containers (aftertaste-wise) and will drink out of anything else I've tried, but this one for me is a no-go.

At a higher weight penalty MSR makes a nice one that's metal on the inside and foamy on the outside but pretty similar to the GSI one.

Personally I use my Firelite 550 with that shiny bubble wrap kinda stuff used for windshield sunshades (is that reflectix?) cut out so it fits over the mug and the handles when they're folded in. (I got to use Pi!)

Awesomely the Jetboil lid fits very well over the pot and the folded in handles. It actually fits better with the handles folded in.

I weighed it but I forgot… maybe 3.5 or 4 oz? Remember most of that is the pot which I take anyway. Dual use pot, very light insulation, and a heavy lid, but a very good one to drink from.

—-OK I read more of your posts after I posted (gotta quit that)

Yeah other than some random container you find I got nothin. Woodenweezy OUT (sorry REALLY long boring day)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.stansport.com/v2/product.php?product_id=76

If anybody has these, I'd love to know what they weigh. It's a pack of two 14 oz aluminum cups, probably less than 2 oz apiece for around 6 bucks at Gander Mountain.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That reminds me– I forgot the IMUSA mugs– cheap-n-light!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The Stansport cups are about 39.1 grams each.

–B.G.–

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

I really like my Kupilka 21 cup for my morning coffee
    http://hrxxlight.com/?p=777

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

I also like my Kupilka 21 for coffee, tea, hot chocolate and a fine, ice cold cup of water. Titanium is rubbish in my experience for hot beverages (burnin' lips).

Will Webster

@willweb

My mug/bowl is a 2 cup ziplock twist-top food storage bowl. Don't have to worry about crushing/cracking, they nest well, and the lid seals nicely so you can use it for extended rehydration. 0.9 oz for the bowl only, 1.5 oz with lid and bubblewrap cozy.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Titanium is rubbish in my experience for hot beverages (burnin' lips)."

I haven't had this issue with the double-walled titanium, only the single-walled.

But the Kupilka sure is a sweet looking coffee cup!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools