Topic

Bendy aluminum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bendy aluminum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

What is that bendy aluminum called? The kind where you can bend it this way and that and it doesn't just flex or snap but stays pretty much as you bend it. Where can someone obtain a sheet of this?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Like MSR windscreens?

Buy disposable oven roating pans @ the Dollar Store or at supermarkets, and cut to size w/ scissors.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

One possibility (I'm not an expert on Al alloys, see the Wikipedia article):

Tempering hardens many Al alloys. The "T" suffix at the end tells you how much tempering was done, from T0 to T10 (plus variants), with T0 meaning "full soft, annealed. Look e.g. for 6061-T0 or some other alloy with -T0 at the end.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Foil? Thicker than kitchen grade of course.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I like this gauge of aluminum . It is heavier than a foil or a turkey pan , but not so thick as to be rigid or structural. It can be cut with a kitchen scissors. I thought about building my own windscreen , but as is sometimes the case , it is cheap enough that I didn't build one. Too light I think for a Caldera Cone Clone. But a good cheap windscreen. If I remember correctly , I learned of it from Roger Caffin, who in China would be called the Stove God.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I think you might be looking for "tooling foil". Google that. Aluminum tooling foil is very bright and shiny, very soft, and comes in many thicknesses but 36 gauge (about 0.005") and 38 gauge (about 0.004") are the most common.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Yes, like MSR windscreens. I cannot tell looking at tooling foil if it's the same thing.

I have made nice lids for my pot out of the same kind of stuff as MSR windscreens. I like it better than regular foil because I can squeeze the lid edges to make the lid secure when I put the pot in my pack. Then I can pull the edges out to make the lid easy to remove when I cook. Regular kitchen foil works for only a little while and it will tear or deform in my pack.

I made a nice lid for my titanium kettle out of an old MSR windscreen I had, but to keep my kettle pristine (I use it with my alcohol stove) I'm trying to make a separate windcreen, lid and stove for an esbit system. So I need a new lid for my esbit-only pot. I made a lid out of flashing, but I can either have a secure fit that I struggle to remove when the pot is boiling over or a loose fit with edges that stick out and make it hard to put away.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Just in case "sheet" didn't mean that you were looking for aluminum foil, check out flashing material at most hardware stores.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I made a lid from the windscreen reflector shield (Mylar covered bubble wrap) wrapped in heavy duty kitchen foil.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools