Topic

Food, try it, you’ll like it.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Food, try it, you’ll like it.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

I stumbled onto this in the local health food store and consider it a staple:

Fantastic Foods, Refried Beans or Black Beans.

All natural, dried, powdered. Add less than 1 cup (per serving) boiled water, stir and let sit 5 minutes. Taste is, as advertised, fantastic.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I use them in my burritos, and in a couple soups I make. I have been using them for at least a decade! :-)

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

that sounds good. I must try it too.

David Bonn

@david_bonn

Locale: North Cascades

You can special-order them in ten or twenty-five pound bags, I think. Some stores sometimes have instant bean mix in bulk.

Victor Karpenko
    BPL Member

@viktor

Locale: Northern California

Great backpacking food. You can also get them in bulk at stores like Whole Earth Foods and Wild Oats Markets. I too have used them for many years.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Yes, agree! Terrific! I add dry sour cream and unsalted sunflower seeds to mine and it makes a great dish.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I, too, have been using them for years.
    Hard to beat. I add some powdered hummus, crushed pita chips or sesame sticks, and 1/2 oz of miso soup to make
    a meal in a bowl most evenings. A spoonful of olive oil goes well, too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools