Topic

“Best” Solo Shelter – choices and opinions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Best” Solo Shelter – choices and opinions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Hey there,

As I am looking for a new solo shelter for the coming summer, and a lot of people have the options I listed below, I wanted to ask for concrete input of those familiar with them – or even have gone through the same comparison already.

I'm looking for a flexible and lightweight option, and what it came down to, so far, is the following:

1) HMG Echo I + inner
    2) Gossamergear Spinnshelter + Alpinlite Bug Shelter 1.25
    3) Zpacks Hexamid with new extended beak

What I don't like about the Echo is the missing wall at the backside when used standalone. And what I heard about the Spinnshelter is that the material isn't quite as good as cuben .. so the decision now is really hard.
    Options would also include other bugnets or shelters e.g. from Alpinlite

Has anyone compared these or can give me any suggestions/opinions/etc? I would be very glad, don't know what to chose :) Price is not really an issue

Thanks in advance,
    Christoph

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've been using a SpinnShelter for a few years now. The fabric is spinnaker fabric, and that is slightly heavier than cuben fiber, but less expensive. I support it with Fibraplex poles. I used mine in California, then added a 4-inch skirt of mosquito netting all the way around. That worked, so before my trip to Alaska, I added a removable front door of mosquito netting. That worked. Now back in California, I removed the front door. That is a lot lighter than dealing with an entire bug shelter.

–B.G.–

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I use the SpinnShelter and Alpinlite Bug Shelter 1.25 and have for the past2.5 year. I really don't have any complaints though a Cuben one might be even better. The SpinnShelter/Alpinlite combo is both cheaper and lighter than the HMG Echo System. I also like the fact that the SS has a rear door (while the Echo is open) and the front door is attached and can be rolled up, rather then the separate piece the Echo has.

That being said the HMG stuff does look well made, and the Hexamid, while a different type of shelter looks interesting as well. In all reality you could probably find yourself happy with any of them.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I also use a Spinnshelter, though without bug net.

Bob, how did you attach the skirt around the perimiter of yours?

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

thanks a lot for four opinions!
    I'm still looking at the many different types .. its getting harder and harder :)

I'll add a Lightheart Solo Awning to the list of options
    but right now I'm in favor of the Zpacks Hexamid with extended beak ..

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

aaaany final input before I go to order the hexamid? :D

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

The new MLD Cricket looks nice. Also, the Wild Oasis/Gatewood shelter is interesting. The MLD Solomid, too.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Oh!

I didn't know the cricket… it looks very nice
    Another option

so right now its cricket vs hexamid :D
    However, the advantage of the hexamid in my opinion is the combination
    with the screen.
    So you can use it without the inner tent in more situations…

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

When in doubt, go with the lightest complete option! Sounds like a Hexamid is in order.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

When in doubt get both!

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thom, Congress could use a man like you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools