Topic

cuben (vs grosgrain) tarp tieouts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear cuben (vs grosgrain) tarp tieouts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I've done some archive searching but haven't come across anything, but has anyone used strips of cuben as tieouts? I'm planning on making a cuben flat tarp soon (taped seams, probably .51 oz/yd) and I'm wondering if i could use a folded strip (bonded with tape) for tieouts and what the best attachment method would be. Could they be taped to the tarp to avoid sewing? would this be any better than a well designed/reinforced grosgrain tieout that is sewn?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Fwiw, a company is selling a couple prototype cuben tarps here that were made with taped cuben tieouts. Their production versions have more traditional looking tieouts.

Joshua Gray
    BPL Member

@coastalhiker

I believe Dan Durston made a rainfly for his quarterdome out of cuben and did cuben tie outs to linelocs. Would have to do a search.

Jason Delso
    BPL Member

@zencarver

Locale: DFW

Found Dan's thread: Cuben Tent Fly

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

awesome, thanks for the link.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

a little off topic, but in the interest of not starting a new thread, if I decide to use Hysol U-09lv rather than tape, how much hysol should I order for an 8×10 tarp?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools