Topic

UL under insulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping UL under insulation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

It isn't uncommon for people to use ponchos, backpacks, etc…to help with ground insulation. Does anyone do this when they hammock instead of an under quilt or light foam mat? Trying to shave weight from the porky 30 ounces most of these hammocks weigh.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

As a new hanger without an under quilt, I choose foam thickness and width to suit the temperatures that I expect to encounter. Being willing to learn to tie a new knot will reduce your suspension weight.

As I learn more, my hanging gear weight will continue to drop. So far, the comfort and the expansion of good campsites (smooth and level are not needed) is worth the carry weight for me, and I don't really care about what internet posters think about my pack weight.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Have a sleeping bag with a zipper at the foot? Check this video for a solution. Right around 6 minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery#p/u/9/f_R5yH0rNMw

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Any thoughts on what knots would be best to learn for hanging? i.e. What knots and where to tie them? I already see the adjustable straps are over kill, but I don't really know how to tie knots. Though I am willing to learn. :)

I guess I was thinking about taking my normal torso pad, but wondered if anyone used their backpack or poncho like I have used on the ground in the past in the hammock.

Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Locale: Denver

What hammock weighs nearly two pounds that you're taking backpacking?

In any case, I've tucked items under my legs, including my pack. This is a good combination with a short length underquilt.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I use Whoopie Slings with my Speer hammock and connect them to my tree straps using the Marlin Spike Hitch.

It's not so much a knot as it is a technique, but it works quite well. Here's a short video that shows how it works.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hennessey method of lashing works and is not a knot.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools