Topic

FOOD FOOD and FOOD

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition FOOD FOOD and FOOD

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Logan Wallace
    BPL Member

@rifleshooter5

On my Hiking days I eat…
    2 packets of poptarts (heavy but pure calories) 800
    5 clif bars (full of everything) 1300
    1 dehydrated meal 400

20.5 oz

On resting days I eat…
    1 packet of poptarts 400
    5 clif bars 1300
    2 dehydrated meals 800

24.5 oz

For water the most efficent at adding a ton of flavor for little powder is crytal light. They can favorify 64 oz with a packet the size of a 16.9oz gatorade flavor packet!

2500 calories per day, wish it was more but anymore is just too heavy, esspecially when going on a 10 day no resupply trip!!!!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I think you could get more calorie bang for the weight:
    Poptarts aren't that dense for the weight…only about 100/ounce. Switch them for candied nuts, nuts/peanut M&Ms, or potato chips and you'll add a few hundred calories for the same weight.

I think you could also get more out of your dehydrated meals.
    1. Repackage them
    2. Eat 1.5 to 2 servings
    3. Find the most calorie dense ones you can if they're commercial (I.E. Mountain House Mac n' Cheese or Chili Mac)
    4. Add a tablespoon of olive oil while cooking…+120 calories for .5 ounce.

You should be able to hit 3400/day for 24 oz. with some substitutions.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=44676&skip_to_post=380951

Cheers.

Logan Wallace
    BPL Member

@rifleshooter5

I compleatly forgot i needed to double the serving for the meals seeing as I eat 2 servings. Great Ideas on the poptart I should have looked at that before, may replace with something like salted nut rolls, or those m&ms. Thanks a ton!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools