Topic

Kindle 3 ebook reader. UL case.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Kindle 3 ebook reader. UL case.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

I just got one, think it's a keeper. Any light cases out there? I know there are the neoprene covers, but I like the portfolio/book type cases. Anyone with personal experience, kind of a long shot.

I bought an $11 mCovers case from Amazon along with the Kindle 3. It's actually quite functional but weighs almost as much as the Kindle @ 5+ oz.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I think you might want to go with the neoprene if you want to hike/backpack with it, just so you have extra protection. The portfolio cases, as you said, are heavy — and they don't offer much protection.

I rarely take my Kindle (long time fan for non-backpacking purposes) on outings, but if ever I do, I like the neoprene case.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Neoprene is heavy. What about ccf or …dangit, whatever the silvery bubble wrap is called?

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Yeah, I'll likely just make one for BPing. I'm not too worried about protection per se, as I'll likely pack it with my sleeping bag at the bottom of my pack.

Neoprene is heavy? Good idea though to make it out of bubble wrap or reflectix. I just like the portfolio type case for how it feels in the hand. The new Kindle 3 is actually quite thin.

The more I use it the more I like it. I have the 3G version and it functions very well here in Canada (the web browser). It'll come in real handy on overseas travel + backpacking trips, especially solo.

Now just have to see if the one month battery life pans out.

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

I want to get a kindle just like yours. And when I do I'm going to do exactly this:

http://lightweightoutdoors.com/?p=1424

I love the internet

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Scott, I know we talked about this particular case before, but Timbuk2 quoted me that their case weighs 2.7ounces. If you were so inclined, you could modify it, and remove the flap…it would then be a slip case. I don't have mine infront of me at this very moment, but I'll verify the weight when I get home. Its got enough padding for backpacking…just pop a cuben drybag over it and the whole thing will be bulletproof.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U4VIXQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002SB8RO0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1DV83BRBKAW0S02KDYQZ

Edit* Ok, so I weighed the case at 2.9 ounces, that said the same scale weighed my kindle 3 at 8.9 ounces while online testimonials say it should be 8.7 ounces. So timbuk2 is probably right that the case weighs 2.7 ounces, as my scale appears to overshoot by .2 ounces

Edit Again*
    Looking into this a bit more, it seems like Phil (from the blog Ben links to above) found an even lighter solution… a sub 1.5oz neoprene sleeve off ebay

http://lightweightoutdoors.com/?p=1449

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

hmmmm… no rush I guess as I have something to protect it right now. I'll check out what's available at the markets in HKG and Shanghai.

Hey, anyone (Konrad if you're not busy) figure out how long their K3 lasts on one charge with the wireless turned on full time. The 3G version.

Mine only lasted 2 days. First charge. Seems kind of low, lemon paranoia.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Sorry buddy, I only have the built in wi-fi; No 3G wireless on mine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools