Topic

Tater Tuesday – Vegetarian this week

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Tater Tuesday – Vegetarian this week

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

I missed Tater Tuesday last week because the kidling had a bad ear infection, then I got sick… The fun never stops! But I'm back.

I forgot to take a photo this week! Doh!

Did you know… Potatoes form a complete protein when eaten with meat, dairy or grains.

Black Bean Enchilada Mashed Potatoes
    Serves 1

1/2 cup butter flavor instant mashed potatoes
    1/4 cup dried refried black beans
    2 tablespoons tomato powder
    1 tablespoon powdered enchilada seasoning mix
    1 teaspoon onion flakes
    1 cheddar or pepper Jack cheese stick

At home: combine everything except the cheese in a zip locking freezer bag.

In camp: add about 1 1/4 cups water to the mix. Stir well. Serve topped with the cheese.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I posted two recipes today for TT. Mine are soups but one is full of bacon :-D

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Her recipes can be found here:

http://blog.trailcooking.com/

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I wondered what happened to last Tuesday. I thought maybe I was in a time warp. I also even considered trying to come up with something myself, but I was in Whoville at the foot of Lichtenberg Mtn(I'm married to the Grinch) and didn't have access to much until I came back to town.

I had everything for today's black bean enchilada taters except the enchilada sauce mix, so I went online and combined a few recipes that seemed to work: 1/2 C cornstarch, 1/4 C chili powder, 2 ts garlic salt, 1/2 ts cumin, 1 ts oregano, 1 TB paprika, 1 ts salt. I also rehydrated the beans and onion flakes separately, because the potatoes always hog all the water. This is really good!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Tater!

Keeping it simple — just dehydrated 7 pounds of yams into yam chips.
    I used the recipe on backpackingchef. I should be set for a while.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

I love that you test our recipes each week. Your feedback is priceless!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Kathleen,

I have been blogging my set of recipes but I didn't have time last week to get it posted here :-( I need to go cut n' paste this weeks as well. Ah well.

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sarah – your recipes are next on my test list. I can only eat so many spuds in a day. I may have already tried them in the past, but I need to make them again to be sure. And yes, I don't like to comment on recipes until I've actually made them. I'm a good little eater!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sounds good, I'll try it on a trip this weekend.
    Thanks!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Not sure I've ever seen tomato powder.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Me either. I'll likely just use the seasoning only.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Harmony House Foods and PackitGourmet both carry it :-) Good stuff to have on hand!!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

One thing we do is make our own tomato powder. Dry homemade or jarred tomato sauce until it is very dry (almost brittle) then run it through a coffee grinder or blender. I use a coffee grinder just for things like this. A Magic Bullet works well for this too. You can do the same with V8 juice to add a nice veggie flavor.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

The stuff I use is from the bulk bins in the herb and spices section from my local health food store (mostly b/c I can buy it locally). I also like Harmony House Foods tomato powder. And like Laurie said, you can also make your own.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Harmmony House is good, I also enjoy AlpineAire's tomato powder…

http://www.alpineaire.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_27&products_id=131

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools