Topic

Video of my cook kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Video of my cook kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

I know people's cooking setups are talked about quite frequently but I just recently made a new alcohol stove, a design I haven't seen elsewhere, but am curious if this has been made before. Check the video.

I ran a bunch of tests on this stove along with a gram weenie, cat can, smaller diameter cat can (out of an aluminum hairspray bottle, same sized holes with hole punch, an even smaller diameter cat can (same method as last), another stove similar to my new design and so far mine boils water quicker with less alcohol. My testing showed that my stove boils 1.5 cups water in 4.5 minutes (in kitchen setting, no windscreen, no lid, and cold tap water) with 15 mL (1/2 fl oz) alcohol and burnt out at 5.25 minutes. The cat can stove boiled the same amount of water in 4 minutes but with 22 mL (3/4 fl oz) alcohol and burnt out at 5.5 minutes. The gram weenie boiled 1.5 cups water in 5.5 minutes with 15 mL alcohol and burnt out at 6 minutes.

The video isn't of these tests but of my kit that I'll be taking on my PCT thru this year.

YouTube video

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You may have chosen 1.5 cups of water to boil since that is what you do in the field.

I think most stove comparisons are standardized for 2 cups of water. You might get completely different results.

–B.G.–

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

But I tested all the stoves with the same amount of water.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"But I tested all the stoves with the same amount of water."

I understand.

Some small stoves such as Esbit or alcohol are simply incapable of boiling a large amount of water, probably due to inefficiencies of the windscreen, etc. Your pot might lose heat almost as fast as what you are putting into it, and the net result might be a pot that never boils. Try to boil 2 quarts of water with alcohol, and you will see what I mean.

If you have a big stove, like a big canister stove or a white gas stove, you can easily deliver enough heat to the pot that you overcome the heat losses. I think I've boiled 5 quarts of water in a 6-quart pot before.

Testing with the amount of water that you need is practical for you, but it limits easy comparison by others with their stoves and cook pots.

–B.G.–

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

High brian,

Nice kit and nice stove design. Flame patern fits well under your pot.

Nice!!! I wish you well on your upcoming adventure on the PCT.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Thanks Dan! This will be my first thru hike and can't be more excited about it!

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

Very sharp looking kit.

And all the best to you on your PCT adventure. I wish I could be out on the trail with you this summer.

If I'd change anything at all about the kit, I'd use a longer spoon. Short spoons lead to food muck on the hands, and paying less attention to avoiding that at the end of the day while I try to eat is worth the extra weight to me. YMMV my friend.

Again, looks sharp.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Thanks Ben!

That spoon is actually longer than my previous one, haha! Getting food on my hands was why I made this one longer and since haven't had that problem. I cut it more to just fit inside my SP600, I'm not too worried about the 1 gram I saved ;)

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Nice stove design and review. Have a good walk!

Tom Peterson
    BPL Member

@tpeterson1959

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice kit. I carry something similar with the exception of your stove. I really like the flame pattern and the way you used the shape to help direct the jets. Have a great time and take lots of pics!

Dan Frazer

@frazer

Locale: Sheridan, Wyoming

Brian,
    I really like the design and look of your stove. I'm also impressed at how fast it primed and bloomed. Any chance you would be willing to share materials, specs? To me it look like you used venom or budlight can, but not sure.

Tia..

-Dan

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

I had someone ask leave me a comment on youtube for a video of how to make one. I'll try and put on together here shortly, I'll let you know when I do.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools