Topic

Allergy sufferers: best places/seasons to hike and best practices?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Allergy sufferers: best places/seasons to hike and best practices?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Anyone else have the same problem? Seems when the weather is prime for hiking, allergies are in full bloom also.

Used to work with plants as an environmental contractor for the military, so I'm super-sensitive, having to "double-tap" the decongestant and benadryl when pollen counts climb; going north to hike is often the only alternative for me and seems to work. What about your area?

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

I used to be badly effected by allergies from pollen and dust and stuff in Australia. It was bad enough that I pretty much stopped breathing through my nose. Would have sniffles and stuff like every morning and night. Now living in the PNW and have had almost no allergy problems at all. Kind of weird being able to breathe out of my nose again. Not sure if it is weather change or plant change but it sure is better.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Buy a commercial Saline solution for nasal congestion.You want the bottle Fill it with a solution of 1 cup water boiled with a half teaspoon of sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon Xylitol , a sweetener. This will fill two of these bottles . Use it every morning or anytime that you feel your nose shutting down. I also recommend Sinus relief tablets by A.Vogel . Homeopathic. Using these things I no longer use anything else and I used to react to pollen in Oregon like crazy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" having to "double-tap" the decongestant and benadryl when pollen counts climb; going north to hike is often the only alternative for me and seems to work."

I have allergy problems, cause unknown, in the Sierra. For years I used OTC decongestants(pseudoephedrine)/antihistamines(benadryl) and, while they kept thngs more or less under control, the side effects were unpleasant. For the last couple of years I have been using a prescription antihistamine spray, with excellent results. As a spray, its effect is localized and does not make me drowzy or make it hard to pee like benadryl, and does not irritate my nasal membranes and jack up my heart rate like pseudoephedrine. The name of the drug is Astelin. It might be worth discussing it with your doc.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Two devices for nasal irrigation for allergies and nasal congestion. Use salt and baking soda dissolved in warm water:
    http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_pot

Also, a standard prescription med for allergies is a nasal spray with corticosteroids such as flonase.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Have most of those medications, which I will add to my "consumables". Some of them must have come out when I was out of country however.

Also heard of the neti pot but that will likely be at home.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Well, if you don't mind the heat, a desert hike after spring flowering season might just be up your alley.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Over the past few years, allergies, unfortunately, have become a part of my everyday life.

I'm sure everyone's remedy is a little different; but I've found the best decongestant solution for me is a hot shower. Why? The steam works wonders in breaking down the congestion.

While hot showers are not always readily available when backpacking, I've taken this remedy into the backcountry by utilizing Ramen soup as an alternative. Boil it up, breathe in the steam, and have some hot, sodium-rich liquid for dessert. I suppose other food items and OTC solutions can work as well, but I've found soups, in general, to be the best solution.

During activity, allergies aren't as much of a concern for me (it's mostly around camp), so I can't provide much insight on that.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

In town I add some grilled, chopped jalapeno peppers to eggs and sandwiches to unblock everything in addition to my meds. Maybe adding some jalapenos to ramen or other soup would do the trick in camp, though green chile would work better I suppose.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools