Topic

Feet: Dry and Dity vs. Moist and Clean

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Feet: Dry and Dity vs. Moist and Clean

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gabbart

@bobg

The general consensus on this site is that it is better to hike in highly breathable shoes such as non-gore trail runners than shoes with gortex. The thinking is that it keeps your feet dryer and thus blister free. However, there are other causes to blisters such as dirt causing abrasion. Using shoes with gortex keep your feet cleaner since dirt doesn’t get in (if combined with gaiters.) I’ve personally found that dirt in my shoes is a larger cause of blisters than moister. Any thoughts?

Graeme Finley

@gfinley001

Locale: SF Bay Area

I had exactly this issue a few weeks ago when I went backpacking in the Sierras. I wear non-GoreTex Montrail Hardrocks and usually hike in the Mid-Atlantic where trails aren’t too dusty/sandy. My feet got very grimy in the toe box area and I ended up getting blisters between my toes (which I’ve never had before).

I still like my shoes for the breathability and ability to walk across streams without changing shoes and have them dry quickly, but next time in the Sierras I’ll tape my toes before I start. What I’d really like is something like my Dirty Girl gaiters that covers the entire front of the shoe, not just the rear half.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Open breathing shoes every time.
    My secret is to wear some Wigwam liners then a pair of thick Darn Tough Vermont socks. Yeah, dust gets through, but it never worries me.
    Dry feet? Rarely! We walk through or down too many rivers. The DTVs lap it up.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools