Topic

Rank the Bars

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Nick,

Pringles are a near perfect food for hot hiking. Any potato chip – such as kettle fried – will work. It is the combination of potassium and sodium + water that does it. Potato chips are often a better choice than even bananas or orange juice. And the boost of fat is also a good shot for us!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The problem with Pringles is that they are full of saturated fat, which is the least healthiest form. Despite the extra calories of Pringles, some of us have to avoid the extra saturated fat. Now, if they could make those things with nut oils and olive oil or something, that would be interesting. Of course, they would probably taste like crap.

I was on a trek in Nepal, and we had been eating moderately healthy food, but it was rather low in fat. One day, one of the guys found some Pringles for sale, so he bought the small size can (smaller than a Coke can) for about $8.00. He wolfed that down in a few minutes because of his craving for fat. Then he went back and bought another one.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Bob,
    If you loiter around natural food stores (which I love to) you can get potato chips made with nearly all oils these days. You won't get "Pringles" but you can find some very tasty kettle style ones! (Which I prefer)

As for that you can also check out Kettle brand potato chips which use Safflower and or Sunflower oil in their line, with very little saturated fat!

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Safeway brand kettle chips: 150 cal/oz. 1 gram sat. fat, 0 gram trans fat. Ingredients: Potatoes, sunflower and or corn oil, salt. Tasty, and I bet the thicker chips won't crush as easily as Pringles or regular potato chips.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Safflower and or Sunflower oil"

That sounds promising. Thanks, Sarah.

Now all I have to do is to figure out how to pack those into a Pringles can.

–B.G.–

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

Hands down the Big Sur bar is the best bar I have ever eaten.

Brad

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I don't personally get why people choose to buy those expensive candy bars that taste so bad? If Im going to indulge and eat junk on the trail for the convenience ( and the excuse) its going to be Snickers or something. At least most mainstream candy bars are far lower in gluten and vegetable oils than the so called "healthy" candy bars marketed to hikers.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+1 on Snickers. They really satisfy…

kevin smith

@divr6347

snickers and the marathon bars (made by snickers) used to be my favorite

the snickers is still one of my favorites but i have to say that after trying a couple of those honey stinger bars i got at rei the other night i am a big fan of them the chocholate peanut butter ones are great and the coconut whatever that one is is pretty good too now to find a local source for them so i don t have to drive 1.5 hrs to get them lol

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

If we are going to talk about cheapie grocery strre candy bars….
    Payday bars
    Mounds Bars

I need to go hiking so I can have both :-D

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Do not melt when in the center of a poncho line or your quilt, etc… In the US Army Jungle School in the heat of Panama this is proven all the time.

Enjoy!…. Plus 1 for Snicker from me also.

Pan

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Seems like Snickers are pretty popular. I'm diabetic so hiking trips are the only time I can have such indulgences.

KERI POEPPE

@wryn

Locale: Minnesota

My treat on the JMT was Olympic Bars, and the turtle and mocha version were outstanding. At $3 each these bars are out of my food budget, but I lucked into a close out sale before my hike. The bars were tasty and soft without appearing to being full of preservatives. If money grew on trees, I'd take these on all my hikes.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

For those here who like the different energy bars; how are you ranking your favorites?

Taste?
    Total Calories?
    Carbs?
    Protein?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

1: Ingredient list (I can't have artificial coloring)
    2: Taste
    3: Texture
    4: Everything else

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

My ranking is based on a combination of things…. taste, calories, carbohydrates, protein, and I also look at the glycemic index. I always try to ensure that there is adequate protein and fiber to slow the sugar rise somewhat. This isn't just because of being diabetic but because I find a slower rise means that I have energy for just that little bit longer than if I had something that had a higher GI.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

1. Taste
    2. Total Calories

Kenneth Cowan

@zeros

Locale: California

The "chocolate coconut" were over a year expired and the "peanut butta" were a week expired. Not usually deterred by expiration dates, I tried both, and they were gross. Returned em.

I'll be sticking to the CLIF Builders Bar from Trader Joe's.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Were those the ones you just bought at .83 a piece?

Kenneth Cowan

@zeros

Locale: California

Yup. I guess we know why they were so cheap. I find it surprising that someone at REI would green-light selling expired food like that.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I wouldn't blame REI across the board on that – more than likely it was no one paying attention at the local store – and that they were on clearance simply due to it either not selling well/new products coming in.
    Trader Joe's has a very high turnover on products, so less likely to get stale ones. I might add that usually when bars get close to their pull date they get sent off to places such as The Grocery Outlet where one can get them for 4 fer $1 or better.

John Devitt
    BPL Member

@cabana

Locale: Colorado

I checked mine, and none are expired. The dates were all oct 2011. I got the choco coconut, peanut butter, and mint choco.

Regards,
    John

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

2/3 of mine were expired, or about to expire, but none tasted bad. Generally speaking, those dates aren't for when the product goes bad, but rather when the over-cautious merchandisers & producer wants to avoid quality issues. In something like s bar, not containing raisins/dates, etc., the acceptable consumption period extends further than normal past the listed expiration date.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Cliff Bars are #1 in my book. all natural.

Many "health" marketed bars have maltrodextrin. This is basically a synthetic starch that is claimed to have a lower glycemic index rating than sugar. It has a slightly funky taste you come to recognize.

However, too much will cause diarrhea, definitely not desireable. Like, more than 2 bars per day. They should put that on the freakin label.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools