Topic

New to Forums – Getting back on the Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion New to Forums – Getting back on the Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    JT Croteau

@jt_w6fo

New to the forums and looking to get back on the trail soon.

I grew up in the shadows of the White Mountains and the A.T.. Now some 30 years later, I find myself living close to the other end of the A.T. in the backyard of Springer mountain.

One goal of mine has always been to do a thru-hike of the A.T. but this is still a few years off. I need to get loose weight and get back in shape before attempting more than just a few short day hikes.

I’m also going to need new gear. I’m a minimalist by heart and travel light in general so my backpacking gear will probably be the same way. However, I don’t have much cash to spare on some of the really high-end stuff so I am going to be keeping it on the cheap but not cheap in safety or quality.

– JT

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

JT,

Welcome. Sounds like you’ll be intersted in the “Make Your Own Gear” forum here. Lots of good advice for making good lightweight gear for much less than purchase price. Enjoy the forums and enjoy getting back out there.

Regards,

MD

james schardt

@jamie_s

I found these links to be very helpful. Maybe they will give you some ideas.

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/cheap.html

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/backpack-cheap.html

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools