Topic

Tenkara Yamame vs Hane

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara Yamame vs Hane

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

Locale: Midwest

Which rod should one purchase? Both are 7:3.

Yamame is 360cm but weighs 3.6 ounces while Hane is 300cm but weighs 2.7 ounces.

Yamame is 21.25 inches long, while the Hane is 16.5 inches long.

Yamame is $140 and includes hard case, while Hane is $179 but includes tenkara line.

I don't know enough about these rods (or fly-fishing for that matter), to make a good decision. Seems like Hane is better for smaller rivers/creeks while Yamame is for bigger rivers??

Any comments appreciated. Thanks,

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Try this site. He has reviews on a lot of Tenkara rods.
    http://www.tenkarabum.com/index.html

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

John,
    It really depends on the type of water you are fishing. You are right that the Hane will be better for small streams and fish while the Yamame is better for larger fish and rivers. Where do you primarily fish?

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

Jason,

I am just starting fly fishing. Only places I've fished so far are the Manistee River (on the Manistee River Trail), and St Joseph River, both in Michigan. I'm planning on trying to head to Wisconsin to some of the smaller rivers. Been using tradition fly rod and reel.

Browns and rainbows are what I think I'll catch. Doesn't seem like you should use these rods for steelhead.

One other gentleman from BPL said he liked the Yamame and that's what I am leaning towards right now.

Thoughts?

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

I did look at the site: tenkarabum.com

I also looked at the tenkaralyfish.webs.com 390 Fountainhead Tenkara Stone Fly Rod. It is 7:3 also but costs $80. Looks like decent rod and the review seemed to be ok.

Still think I'm gonna go with teh Tenkara Yamame.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Locale: Michigan

John,

I've owned the Hane, the Iwana (which is similar to the Yamame) and now the Fountainhead Caddis (which is the brother to the Stone Fly only it's a 6:4 action, partial carbon fiber rod for $50). The Fountainhead appears to be every bit as nice as the others for less than half the cost. I should qualify this and tell you that I've never landed a fish with the Fountainhead yet – I just received it a few weeks ago. But I have no regrets buying the Caddis. It's a great rod that casts wonderfully. Plus, the company is right here in Michigan and the owner is very responsive to any questions you have.

Maybe I'll see you on the Manistee soon…

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

Hey Dennis,

Did you like the Hane? Do you still have it?

I purchased the Yamame yesterday. And am thinking about purchasing the Fountain Head 390. That way I could compare them side by side. Tenkara gives folks 60 days while Fountain Head gives you 15 days.

Thanks for your comments, and perhaps I'll see you on the trail/river.

JA

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

John,

My previous fly fishing experience was more traditional rod and reel, but I picked up the Hane last year and have been happy with it. My largest catch was a 2 lb largemouth bass and I am not sure how confident I would be with a bigger fish than that on the end. It handles the small fish beautifully and I enjoy the simplicity of the tenkara design.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

"Did you like the Hane? Do you still have it?"

Yes, I did like the Hane – it's a high quality piece of equipment. But the only benefit the Hane offers (me) over other rods is that it is not as long, therefore, is better in tight spaces. However, I've since learned different casts (like the "slingshot") that will allow me to fish a longer rod in tight areas. Because of this, the Hane's length can be somewhat limiting when compared to a 12 – 13' rod. This is why I sold it and bought a 12' rod instead.

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

I wanted to say thank you to all who have commented or PM'd.

I have settled on the Yamame. If I have some more cash later this year/summer, I'll add the Fountain Head 390 to my rods.

Thanks for all your help/comments.

John Adams

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Have fun.

Nate Lee
    BPL Member

@nathan52

Please don't forget to update us on how you like or don't like your purchase., enjoy!

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

I should have the rod on Friday. But I won't be using it until the following weekend.

ALSO—-I saw that BPL is having a sale on the Hane and the other rod that was supposed to be a Hane.

JA

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

Well I wanted to chime in on my experience with the seconds that BPL is selling. I purchased one and it arrived last Friday. I'd also ordered a Yamame, but ended up using the Hane rod when I went fishing last Saturday.

Firstly–I caught nothing. But that doesn't mean that I had a bad time. I enjoyed it. I used it on a fairly small creek in IL. It was only the second weekend of trout season. I saw probably 5-7 others in the same location, all using regular casting rods and fishing on bottom. I talked with a few of the guys and they weren't doing so well either. One gentleman had caught 1 and he'd been there quite a while.

I have to say I really like the Hane. I do think it is probably too short for the rivers/creeks that I'll be fishing but I like it. It's compact and I like the handle. The one I have has a handle that measures 7 inches in length. It's one of the one's that says "Iwana 5:5". I had quite a bit of trouble casting lite flies into the wind. I did a lot better with my side casting and slingshot method of casting. (I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to fly fishing.)

One thing I like about the Hane is that is weigh 2.7 ounces. The Yamame weighs in at 3.6 and "feels" heavier. This make me think I'd like to try a Iwana 12'. It's just as long as the Yamame, but weighs 2.7 ounces (though it's a 6:4).

I haven't gotten to use the Yamame yet but I'm looking forward to trying it. I may try to get the Iwana 12' and try it on the same day as the Yamame.

Good luck out there,

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

If either of you Michigan guys wanna meet up sometime this spring/summer send me a PM. Ive been fishing the most of the upper Manistee, Pere Marquette and jordan and would like to explore more. Let me know.

John Adams
    BPL Member

@scsjohn

This past weekend I used the Yamame for a little while. While there is nothing wrong with this rod, I did not like it. I also recently purchased an Iwana 12ft (used) and I like it a lot better. I am also just beginning and don't really know what I'm doing, but . . . for me, trying to cast a 13ft furled in was difficult with the Yamame. I could do it if I cast very quickly. I mean a very quick flick of the wrist. The Iwana is slower.

I have nothing against the Yamame except that I personal didn't like casting it as much as I did the Iwana.

I know this is probably not much help for those considering rods but wanted to chime in once I'd used it.

Best of luck,

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools