Topic

WTB: Cuben – .34, .50, .75 oz/yd – for Testing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear WTB: Cuben – .34, .50, .75 oz/yd – for Testing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I'm to impatient to wait 3+ months for the BPL effort to take shape.

I'd like to do some quick and dirty "rain tower" testing.
    Build a tilt-frame, mount the cuben, mount a "spray head" 30' up on the roof, and have at it. No drop-size control, but that's the way it goes. Let common sense prevail. I'm more concerned by the "hard driving rain" than the pleasant evening sprinkle.

I'm looking for the 3 lightest weights,.34, .50, .75 oz/yd, or whatever they are.

I want a "sample window" about 24"x24", and it would be nice to have 2 of each, in the name of "science" and all. So a 36" piece off a 54" roll would get it done. That would give me 2 samples with enough around the 24" x 24" for mounting.

I'll do "virgin" tests – horizontal and 45°, followed by similar "used" tests (90 minutes of flapping in front of the fan).

Post ideas and suggestions here. But KISS, I'm a "quick and dirty" kind of guy.

I'm willing to pay for materials, just not 9 meter rolls.

Fabric offers via PM or direct to greg at smgm dot org

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

Locale: Cascadia

You're sick.

I forgot my :>)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

If anyone is willing to provide material, I'm also getting set up for running similar tests, as well as HH column tests. Too fun to ignore!

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Someone please send me a complete cuben tarp system for testing. I'll use it in the field and report back as to whether or not I got wet. For accuracy I'll need an 8x10ft flat tarp or a 5x9ft with front and back beaks, with all the proper tie-outs. PM me for my mailing address. This is for the betterment of the community, thank you in advance.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Ha!

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Dang it, Daniel- you're going to let them in on our plan! A few of those 3' x 4' samples, a little cuben tape and *POW* you have a flat cuben tarp.

Joking aside, I do plan on testing the samples, not just trying to get a tarp Johnny Cash style. :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools