Topic

Yosemite ” Epic snow Trip” 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Yosemite ” Epic snow Trip” 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I like the established Sierra Nevada method for digging in."

Cross country skiers trying to cross the Sierra Nevada in a minimum number of days need to cut a lot of weight out, and the first step of that is with shelter. I've only slept in the 2-person version, but it also scales up to a 4-person version. If you want to gild the lily, you take one long pole from a real tent (typically aluminum 10') and use it as the primary roof truss. That allows you to keep all of your skis and ski poles free for action.

I wish I still had my old web site from several years ago, because I had a step-by-step instruction with illustrations for this. Oh, well.

–B.G.–

Richard Niemi
    BPL Member

@rickniemi

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains

Bob,

Your old site might be here.
    http://waybackmachine.org/
    or here
    web.archive.org/

Rick

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Thanks for the info Marc. For some reason I thought you guys were out past Dewey Point. Since seeing them at the OR the Toughstakes look very promising, good to hear of an actual report. Which size did you use, the small?

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Jacob
    I used the small stakes. The snow that I embedded them in was the crust we encountered when we went in on friday.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools