Topic

What do you carry your spreads in?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What do you carry your spreads in?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

What do you use to carry peanut butter, jelly or other spreads in for lunch?

Thanks

Jason Knecht

@distortedaxis

Locale: Earth

Well, nowadays I try to find Single serving condiments such as mayo, peanut butter and honey. They work great on the trail, however there is much waste and the containers are not reusable nor environmentally friendly.

Otherwise I use a small ziploc bag with a hole in one corner and squeeze out whatever I put inside. I store the bag with a hole inside another ziploc bag for safe keeping.

This is the lightest solutions I've come across

Eric Thompson
    BPL Member

@er0ck

Locale: PNW

anyone use coughlan squeeze tubes?

i'm curious about how easy they are to clean and reuse

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

For peanut butter, I use a small screw-top container. I think it's made by Nalgene and holds 1 or 2 fl oz. I don't always want the amount that a single serving gives me, so this works well. Easy to clean and reload. And, regardless of what king of peanut butter I use at home, I always carry a commercial brand like JIF on the trail. It has enough chemicals in it so that it doesn't separate and I don't care about the added sugar when hiking.

For mayo, soy sauce, honey, etc., I just use the small packets.

Btw, these guys are great for refillable tubes and such. Cheap and durable and amazingly fast delivery. I use their "rum runner" flasks for carrying extra water. 32oz containers are less than $5 and weigh 0.8oz. I've never had one leak. http://www.easytravelerinc.com/

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Squeeze tubes were state-of-the-art thirty years ago. I used them for granular stuff like instant coffee. They were a little awkward for gooey stuff like peanut butter because they were slightly difficult to clean out. However, we had very few peanut butter products packaged in foil packets back then. The white plastic clip for the bottom of the squeeze tube can break.

Now, I carry peanut butter foil packets (minimus.biz). If I need to carry more than 2-3 ounces, then I will pack a small plastic screw-top jar with it, but no deeper than my fingers (for ease of cleaning).

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Used them for years. The bottom opens completely, so you can get them clean without too much fuss.

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Here's two links to previous posts about carrying peanut butter:

First Peanut Butter Link

Second Peanut Butter Link

Hope this helps

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

For the most part I use single serving – simpler, portion controlled and no mess. If though you are on a longer trip just carry the nut butter in its container it came in. Same with jam – you can get plastic squeeze containers now.

But whatever you do, if you do carry tubs, etc don't stick spoons in that you have licked…your saliva and the sugar in jam = breeding ground in hot weather ;-)

PS: You might also look into Ziploc or Glad 1/2 cup containers, those work well.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

The white plastic clip for the bottom of the squeeze tube can break.

So true. I now replace mine with duct tape.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've always used squeeze tubes (duct taped shut) for peanut butter, jelly and honey.

I now pre-mix PBJ in one tube for conveniance & less weight.

For liquid margarine I use a small plastic bottle W/ a flip-up spout lid.

lynda schroeder

@lyndasch15

I use coughlan's squeeze tubes for peanut butter. I hate loading them and I hate cleaning them. I am switching to small containers (ziploc or glad)

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I use to use the reusable squeeze tubes, but got tired of cleaning em.

You can come across little peanut butter jars in some supermarkets, 8 oz, I think.

I reuse them to contain food. You don't have to fill them to the top if you are only bringing a few ounces.
    I use one as a coffee/tea mug. It also doubles as a container for reconstituting dehydrated foods a few hours before camp. The screw on lid keeps the contents from leaking in my pack. They are quite durable/reliable so they won't make a mess in your food bag.

I guess this should not be in the gear section, but in the food/cooking forum?

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

We use Ziploc snack bags. Half the size of a sandwich bag.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Nalge jars. Guaranteed seal on the lids. Very durable. Available at good gear stores or direct from Nalge.

2592 Nalge bottles for butter&jam in snow

Cheers

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Yes to Nalgene Jars,

But in the States, you get them for free when you buy small jars of Peanut Butter, jam,…
    Maybe even Vegemite:-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools