Topic

Synthetic Quilt Questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Synthetic Quilt Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

So I just finished a project and I'm moving on to another. I plan to do an ultralight hike of the AT during May in the South, so it is pretty warm. Too warm I think for my Golite Ultra20 in my experiences. I just received two yards of Apex 2.5 from Thru-Hiker last week and will get some 1.1oz ripstop from BWDD and hope to make a quilt/poncho along the lines of the JRB Stealth. I have a couple of questions for this project though.

1. I've never personally worked with any insulation in my projects (still pretty new to this), so with Apex, I plan to simply have a stitch around the edge of the quilt holding the insulation in position. Would it be easier to catch the insulation in the seam between the liner and shell or to just make a big pocket and top stitch the insulation in place? Both seem to have similar performance to me, but the ease of sewing it may be different. Is there really a difference at all?

2. One part of it I am still iffy on is creating the head hole. I know some people have made something similar before on this forum. Does anyone have a suggestion of how they went about reinforcing this head hole and exactly how they closed it up at night?

3. I plan to use this as my insulating gear for my hike rather than carrying a jacket at all. From experience, does anyone know how well these quilt/ponchos do with keeping you warm when worn? Does anyone have experience with the MLD spirit 45, because that uses the same insulation as mine?

Thanks for any help. I can't wait to start on this project

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'd like to make a quilt just like that, so I'll be watching and hoping you get good advice! Otherwise, I'll just have to go to school on you!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Chris,

I made something like it sounds you are planning. You can see the thread here:

7 ounce Quilt / Tunic

I used this on a very light hike on the AT in Georgia in October a few years ago.

Springer Mt – GA – AT. Oct 2006

Along the Duncan Ridge Trail, GA – Oct 2006

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

Bill,

Your thread about the quilt was actually what got me thinking about it, so I was really hoping you would see the thread. Thanks for the pictures. How warm would you say your quilt turned out to be when worn? If I remember correctly you used some silk, maybe 5mm? Were you happy with the choice of silk, or do you think that some 1.1oz ripstop would be a better choice? In your picture, the flap that covered the head hole seems wide. Did you put insulation in this flap or is the velcro (did you use omnitape?) just wide? Thanks for the help.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Chris,

To answer your questions I have re-listed them here.

Q-1. How warm would you say your quilt turned out to be when worn?

A-1. The weather when the picture was taken on Springer Mountain started out at about 35 degrees, 0900 am or so. The Tunic / Quilt was fine. The temperature keep climbing and by mid afternoon it was around 50 plus and warm enough that I took it off. I was wearing Patagonia #2 Merino wool LS Top and Bottoms as my skin layer. If I had worn a lighter skin layer I may have been able to keep the Tunic / Quilt on all day. It also would have been a good time to have worn my Kilt / Sleeping Pad.

Q-2. If I remember correctly you used some silk, maybe 5mm? Were you happy with the choice of silk, or do you think that some 1.1oz ripstop would be a better choice?

A-2. In looking back over that old thread and I don't think I said for sure which weight silk I used. I think it was the 5mm as it is wider then the 4.5 silk. I really like silk and think it compress easier. If I didn't use silk I would use Pertex Quantum which I still have some of that I got a long time ago. If you have the 1.1 ripstop already try it. I have some from Thru-Hiker that I bought a long time ago but never used.

Q-3. In your picture, the flap that covered the head hole seems wide. Did you put insulation in this flap or is the velcro (did you use omnitape?) just wide?

A-4. The hole for my head is just right. Any smaller and I would have had a hard time getting it on and off. The thing that looks like a collar has insulation in it and was made to hold a string to pull tight around my neck and tie. I try not to use much Velcro or Omnitape. The weight all adds up fast if you use much of it. I will say that there are times when it is about the easiest thing to fasten something with and then I go with Omnitape.

I am up-dating that old pattern and will make a new version of the Tunic / Quilt for a Souther AT hike I am also trying to get myself ready for in May or so this year. I am thinking about making it out of some Primaloft One factory pre-quilted 1.8 ounce a square yard insulation. I think it would be as warm as necessary and be light enough to have with me even if I only ever use it as a quilt.

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

Another question for Bill,
    I'm looking to make a light quilt for the upcoming summer, and I was eyeing primaloft One 1.8, but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. do you know any sources?

-Will

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Will,

What I have came from a roll I bought a few years ago. I have read here that it is currently sold out at the factory and not expected back in stock till late summer or early fall.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools