Topic

UL Bean dip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Going UL bringing a can of bean dip isn't going to work anymore for my usual first stove-less meal (hence the trailname).

Any recipes on bean dips that can go with a bag of corn chips?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If you like the canned or jarred stuff you could dry it….

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

where do you live? walmarts in many arizona towns have Mexicali Rose instant refried beans. some even have instant Black beans.
    worth a shot to check there since you live in the southwest.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Dry hummus mix, a little olive oil, and a little water.

–B.G.–

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Sarah- Dehydrating is something I need to start getting into for sure

Mike – It's been awhile since I've been back to the US and a little longer away from the Southwest, excluding California. Now I seem to remember something like that. Just had a bad experience packing rice instead of couscous, so don't want anything that requires boiling.

Bob – Not feeling the hummus with Fritos or other corn chips. Maybe with some crackers, Naan, or pita.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

One of my current favorite trail foods is Santa Fe brand dehydrated refried beans. Great hot or cold for lunch or dinner. They have them at Amazon.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

HK,

I'll 2nd what Te-Wa suggested, grab yourself a few bags of Mexicali Rose Instant Mexican Homestyle Refried Beans, they're made right here on the border in El Paso, TX & Anthony, NM and are good enough for Mexican abuelitas in their homes when they don't feel like making their own…should give you some indication of the quality. These are IMO the best refried beans you can purchase, everything else is just a poor counterfeit of the real thing. A 7oz. pkg. will yield 26oz. of beans in 5 minutes on 2 1/2 cups of water (that's a huge serving which can feed 2 easily), there's no MSG, low sodium, and 100% natural… ingredients are: pinto beans, soybean oil, salt.

For a nice bean dip on the cheap, make a serving, then bring some salsa packets of your choice, or poor some Cholula hot sauce into a small dropper bottle and add that to your beans when you get to camp. If you really want to go fancy, pick up some New Mexican Hatch Green Chile (the best!) in a powder form at the markets and mix that into your beans… it will put a smile on your face.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I have loads of bean dip recipes that rehydrate using cold water. If you are willing to get into dehydrating foods let me know and I can post a bunch of recipes. Here's a link to one of my hummus recipes and the link to an eggplant one that illustrates that it doesn't just have to be beans to be UL.

The Easiest of Trail Lunches (I chose to post this one because it shows the dried product for reference)

Roasted Eggplant Spread

and a black bean dip…

Black Bean Dip
    © 2008 A Fork in the Trail

Dehydration Time: 5–7 hours
    Makes 2–4 servings

Black beans are also known as black turtle beans and have an earthy flavor. They are a good source of protein and fibre.

1 19-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 tablespoons onions, minced
    1/2 tablespoon olive oil
    1 1/2 tablespoons salsa
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
    2 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
    3/4 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
    Pinch of salt

At Home
    Purée the black beans, garlic, onions, olive oil, salsa, and lime juice. Add the black pepper, lime juice, cumin, cilantro, and salt and purée again. Dehydrate the purée on a lined dehydrator tray as you would for fruit leather. The dip will take between 5 and 7 hours to dry. Once it is dry, you can grind it into a powder (a spice or coffee grinder works best for this).

At Camp
    Rehydrate the bean dip using a formula of 1 1/2 parts dried mix to 1 part water. Wait 5 to 10 minutes and then add a little more water if necessary. Serve the hummus warm or cold with crackers, Greek pita wedges, or tortilla chips or as a spread in a chicken wrap.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

HK, I'll say this – while I have recipes for dried bean spreads I can bet you won't be a fan of them – and the reason I say this is that the canned spreads taste a whole lot different than the canned variety :-)

But one thing to consider – while the cans might be a bit heavier to carry – if you are carrying only one can or maybe two, don't beat yourself up! The cans are easily smashed under you heel or via a large rock after you are done – and the cans don't weigh a lot these days empty. Yes, are there lighter options? Maybe but if you love it, don't give it up! Just see it as a treat, not for every meal…hehheh!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

About cans. While I am not sure of the regulations south of the Canadian border, there are many parks up here, including the Ontario Parks, that have banned cans in the backcountry. So, for some of us, toting heavy cans is neither desirable nor it is an option.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

Eugene.. will you marry me?? lol!

also, add a tablespoon of NIDO to each serving for BAM! flavored, authentic beans. now, off to find NM hatch chile powder.. yumm

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

* edited *

I can still remember back in what was it….2001? Who knows when….but oh those cans of bean dip with the pop top – I carried them back then. They were single serving size, the type you get at truck stops on I-90 :-D

Stuff stinks so bad when you open it. Kind of like Spam Spread. Stinks but tastes great ;-)

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

No food cans or glass in BWCAW. I do appreciate the guidelines and rules though that preserve the area as much of a wilderness as possible. Won’t argue with that.

KERI POEPPE

@wryn

Locale: Minnesota

I make frequently make bean dips and spreads for trips. I find that a splash of olive oil and lemon juice brightens a spread. I carried 4 gram packets of lemon juice when I did the JMT. I thought lemon juice packets worked better than True Lemon for my tastes. Yes, it is a tiny bit of extra weight, but I savored my lunch.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

While I add the lemon or lime while I am making the dip, I do have to agree with you about the brightness that fresh lemon or other citrus juice adds on the trail. I've been known to carry a lemon on occasion but the packs would be lighter. The nice thing about the lemon is that I can get two days out of it (use some in my tea or a trail salad) and use the zest as well.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

*edited*

…How about an olive branch or something? You both have some great ideas, great recepies and more. I know I can be at odds with fellow members too, which can be productive in a way, but ongoing, longstanding, predictable at odds, is no fun for anyone. Help us out here, : )

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I sure did not mean for things to degenerate any further, and if I prompted that I am sorry.
    If no mending can be done, maybe just staying out of each other's way would be best. Whenever one of you posts, it won't be long before the other answers, and chances are that there will be something unpleasant there. Who started it only matters so far,you are both doing it now.
    I suggest that you remove or edit your last post; seems like no good can come of that. I would be happy to edit mine, where I spoke of the olive branch.
    Sincerely, Katharina

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Perhaps we can all just live and let live? No need for airing grievances publicly please.

I will endorse what Sam wrote, but I will also add this: I will not tolerate any personal attacks on any BPL channel. Take them elsewhere. Otherwise wholesale deletions may result.

Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

+1 … especially in a thread labeled "bean dip". Geopolitical and personal differences kinda throw everything for an inappropriate loop.

Anyways thanks to all for the dip suggestions.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

*edited*

I have a couple of recipes that I can add so that the thread can get back on topic… Will post them when I get back into town on monday.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Okay, I've just put on my censoring cap on and edited out a whole bunch of this thread. I politely request that the discourse return to that of a discussion about bean dip.

Sincerely,
    Sam Haraldson
    Forum Moderator

*Addie edited for grammar, but she wholeheartedly backs up Sam's censorship. Sharing recipes is a wonderful pastime except when people are mean spirited and leave out a critical ingredient.
    Sincerely,
    Addie B.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Book #2 preview recipe. :)

Mexicalli Hummus
    Serves 1-2

This makes more than you would think. Stir well before serving or you end up with lumps of spice. Serve with corn chips or on a corn tortilla with avocado. I especially like this with corn chips. The salt pairs nicely with the spice and creaminess of the beans.

½ cup instant refried beans
    1 teaspoon dried cilantro
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 packet True Lemon
    2 packets True Lime
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    pinch cayenne (or more to taste)

At home: combine all of the ingredients in a zip locking plastic bag.

In camp: add enough water to make a dip or spread like consistency, stirring well. Serve as a dip with chips or as a spread on tortillas.

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

In Central California, Raley's Market sales the Mexicai Rose (or is it Santa Fe product?) instant refried beans in the Mexican/Asian isles. Very good quality!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

My southwest dehydrated beans arrived! I can't wait!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools