Topic

Hennessy Hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hennessy Hammock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Derek Johnson

@veilsidecelica01

Sure this has been covered before but does anyone know how to keep the rain fly on a just out of the box hennessy hammock ultralight taut see the problem I keep having is that the rain fly does not stay taut when you are laying in it any suggestions?

Jerry Wick
    BPL Member

@jerryw

Locale: Illinois

I think the most widely used technique is to remove the tarp from the hammock and tie it to the trees with it's own guylines. What you're experiencing is very common with the Hennessys.

Jerry

Sean Krajacic

@photosean

Locale: Midwest

Make loops out of 1/8" bungee cord and add to the tarp guylines. Should do the trick. Do a google search for the cord – it runs about $.20 per foot. Good luck.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

You might also try having a hiking partner adjust the tarp while you lay inside of the hammock. Depending on the hammock suspension you use, this might not be all that effective (for example, if you are using the stock rope supplied with the hammock.)

I still keep my tarp attached to my Hennessey. My eventual solution will be to buy a Warbonnet Blackbird, and another tarp, hehe.

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada

I was having the same problem. I added a line at the foot of the tarp that went to the tree instead of attaching to hammock line. It solved the problem, but I was still not happy with the coverage of the stock diamond tarp. I was much happier with an upgraded tarp and went with a dedicated tarp suspension.

Derek Johnson

@veilsidecelica01

It just seems kind of a design flaw you know thanks for all the advice

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Jerry hit it on the nose, the way in which HH tells you to connect the tarp to the hammock suspension is the problem. There is no good way to get the tarp super tight using their recommended method. Remove it from the ropes and tie it strait to the tree to hang it where you want it will help it to pitch better. But still keep in mind that the stock tarp is cut on the bias to help them maximize the use of the yardage and to get the asym shape, it will never pull as tight as a tarp that is cut so the ridge runs with the weave of the fabric.

I have heard rumor that Hennessy pitches his tarp to the tree directly himself.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools