Topic

Quick weird question?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quick weird question?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

How long do the small packets of mayo last outside of the fridge? Using for the trail.

Thanks

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Mark,

My rule of thumb, if it has been in the fridge it won't be going out on the trail with me.

If the mayo packet has not been refrigerated I'd take it along for the ride without worry as long as I didn't leave it out in direct sun and high temps for any amount of time.

How long it will last is a good question. Is there any expiration date on the packets?

Party On,

Newton

K. S.

@bwalt822

There is no reason why just putting something in the fridge will make it unsuitable for the trail. Mayo doesn't need to be refrigerated before its opened as evidenced by grocery store shelves. As long as your trip isn't months long I think you'll be ok.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

For something sealed, especially with something as processed as mayo packets, I can't imagine refrigeration having any affect on it. Its only after you open it that things go funky.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

The small packets of mayo (as well as mustard, salad dressings, etc.) are all shelf-stable and never need to be refrigerated when unopened.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

FWIW,

http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/fsrl/pubs/Handouts/mayo.pdf

Here is a quick link to the website above.

Read the info in italics in the center of the first page of the pdf beginning with the word Commercial.

Scroll down to the second page of the pdf and read the question and answer in the bottom left corner.

Finally read the Q & A starting in the center of the second page of the pdf concerning the "Mayo Myth".

As stated by Bill,"Mayo doesn't need to be refrigerated before its opened as evidenced by grocery store shelves."

In my personal experience and practice only, no recommendations are made or implied here.

At home my mayo is kept in the refrigerator after it is opened. Before opening it is on the shelf in the pantry stored the same way it was in the store.

I am not a fan of refrigerating any food stuff and then putting it in my food bag to be left unrefrigerated for the duration of my hike.

In regards to mayo I was taught from young that it was OK unrefrigerated but once it was in the fridge it should always be put back in the fridge. I'm pushing 60 and back when I was young is quite a while back.;-)

It may be that perhaps what I was taught was due to another "Mayo Myth". That being said, I personally don't shy away from opened and unrefrigerated mayo in the lunch room. I also don't get overly concerned about expiration dates on salad dressings in the lunch room fridge. I also haven't been to the ER with any cases of food poisoning either.

YMMV

All of the above personal experiences and practice can be taken with a grain of salt or a bicarbonate of soda as needed. ;-)

IMO ask a knowledgeable professional which admittedly I am not.

Err on the side of caution, follow all instructions on the label, never eat anything past its expiration date and if in doubt throw it out!

Above all ask questions, be safe and enjoy your hiking.

Party On,

Newton

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

I'd call Chik fil A and ask them if they refridge their mayo packets or just leave them out at the condiment station at room temp. They should have some idea.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The packets are fine to carry. They are not sold refrigerated – see Minimus.biz for cheapies.

Having said that they are the one single serving packet you need to use up in good time. Try to cycle them in 3 months for best freshness.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

PS:
    Many times food is sold in the cold cases simply due to people expecting it to be there. Take Laughing Cow wheels of spreadable cheese – they do NOT need to be chilled, yet grocery stores sell them with the fancy cheese.

Robert Coleman

@jbo_c

On a funny note, I got one of these from somewhere the other day(Chik-fil-a?) and it said "refrigerate after opening". Who uses half a tablespoon of mayo and wants to save the rest?

Jbo

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

Thanks for the info-
    Guess the tuna packets are coming with me.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> Guess the tuna packets are coming with me.

Btw, they now sell pre-mixed tuna salad in the same foil packets. I bought one the other day to taste but haven't tried it yet. The one I got says solid albacore with celery and mayo.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

BTW, mayo does NOT need to be refrigerated even after opening.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You can also get kits where it is a tuna packet, may packet, relish packet, etc…

But! If you can find the oil packed tuna packets get those. Way better tasting tuna!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools