Topic

Please post for Larger Men

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Please post for Larger Men

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott Johnson

@scottyjsr

Locale: The GREAT pacific Northwest

When someone searching sites and find L, XL and XXL would you please post where to go to find the gear I am a big guy not FAT but I notice almost all mens clothing and gear is either SMALL or MEDIUM on this SITE for SMALL GUYS…Its really difficult finding LARGER stuff for a big guy on here…Cheers

Thanks
    Scott

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Scott,

What are you looking for specifically?

I like REI Sahara line for Pants as even though in the normal world i am 2XL i find that gear companies 2XL is like a XL, or MAG-Large. The REI pants in 4XL (waist belt used heavily) actually give me the freedom of movement i am looking for in the crotch and legs (i have tree trunk thighs) It is hard to find these larger sizes in anything but short though which sucks at 6'2".

-Tim

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I would think that men's LARGE would be a lot more common than SMALL's. And there's a huge difference between L and XXL.

My husband is 6'4" and XXL. For gear-type clothing, I generally have good luck with REI, Marmot, Columbia, LL Bean and Eddie Bauer. Columbia, LL Bean and Eddie Bauer carry TALL sizes as well.

I often get great deals for him on Sierra Trading Post since it's often the smallest/largest sizes that they have "left over" for the best prices.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

+1 on Sierra Trading Post

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I can never find any tall clothing on stp. I must be doing something wrong. Finding xl is not much of an issue, but getting 34 inseams or tall shirts is hard to find…even rei only has a very limited selection of tall clothing…maybe 3 pages worth of stuff on their entire site.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Interesting. I have a very hard time finding small clothing in the stores here. I guess we have more large people in the SE than other parts of the country.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I'm a big *and* fat guy, though not tall- 5'11" 290 lbs and a broad chest/shoulders, 40-42" waist. I've actually found that most brands fit me in XXL and even XL. I do have problems with sleeping bags with a narrow cut- Lafuma, Summerlite, etc- my shoulders are too broad to get into my usual sleeping position with the bag fully zipped up. Some of the European brands don't work well for me- Rab in XXL just squeaks in around my shoulders and chest and too much space around the belly.

The only thing I've ever been frustrated with is an extensive selection of pants. A lot of the pants recommended to me by OR, Arc'teryx and others top out at a waist of 38. Not the end of the world, but often makes me settle for something that somehow falls short. Also, most pants seem to come in a 32" inseam and nothing else. A lot of brands have a Regular 32" and Tall 34" inseam, but it's a lot harder to get my 30" inseam.

The only bit of gear I've been entirely thwarted on is a set of light gaiters. I've big, muscular calves that are too big for every pair I've been able to try on.

First Ascent is one of the few brands with an extensive collection of tall sizes, and so much of the stuff that has gone on 50-80% clearance is only available in XL and XXL. :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools