Topic

JMT Food PDF

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

A link to the PDF for my JMT food list is here:

http://sweepingthegarden.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/jmt-2011-food-list-pdf/

If anyone's interested.

More sodium than I'd like, but I'll live; I'd rather have the ease of a simple menu as I won't be resupplying.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If I were to give a couple thoughts: on the ramen – you don't need the entire package of seasoning, even for 1.5 packs ramen. Sprinkle in as needed to control the sodium (that is after all where nearly all of it is). And on the taters – are you using the tortilla to eat it with? If you read brands there can be a difference of half or more of the sodium (some are over 600 mg a tortilla! If you study brands you can find some that are in the 100-200 range).

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Yeah, potato burritos. I'll likely dehydrate some Morningstar veggie sausage patties (crumbled) to beef up the burritos. I use Trader Joe's whole wheat tortillas…only 150mg sodium each. I usually go pretty sparing on the ramen seasoning as well; I use a spoonful of Sambal Oelek chili paste for most of my flavor…don't know what the sodium is on that, though.

Overall, it's not too much of a concern; I'm only out ~9 days and eat well otherwise. I've done this sort of diet on plenty of trips and don't have any trouble with it…If it were for months, it might be a different story.

I prefer nothing but fresh food on most trips but as I have to cram 9 days into a bear can, I don't have much room for luxuries.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I am not a nutritionist, but it seems to me that more salt than normal might be a good thing. Hiking for 9 days at over 20 miles per day is going to generate a lot of sweat, and a loss of body minerals and salts.

For example, if I hike long miles over several days, the back of my shirt turns white and has a crusty layer of minerals.

BTW, I have seen Craig build a burrito. Doesn't take long and really looks good!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Tater burritos are the best ;-)

Sambal Olek is good for the soul! :-D

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Craig,

Your food lists looks good to me.

Crushed chips: for variety, look at Terra Chips instead of Pringles. More expensive, but 70mg of sodium per serving instead of 170mg and a little calcium, Vitamin A and iron. I usually measure out servings on my scale, then crush them in a large ziploc with a rolling pin, transfer them to a snack size bag and eat with a spoon.

Also, I like Sarah's granola/pb tortillas for breakfast, although I use TJ's almond butter with flax. Takes longer than a bar, but a least a little different taste/texture to start the day.

Good luck on the JMT!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I am eating the flax seed PB that Target sells…oh wow, GOOD stuff!!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Sarah, I'll try it but how could it taste like peanut butter?

BTW, let me take this opportunity to thank you for "Freezerbag Cooking". That little book has made backpacking meals fantastic. I'm one of those who, like the French, "Live to eat", and not the other way around.

When I "cook" my FB meals in camp & stick them in my fleece cozy inevitably I get other backpackers inquiring about my unusual meals. They are crunching on the commercial freeze-dried fare and not loving it as I eat clam chowder with real (retort pouch) clams, rehydrated potatoes & celery & spices. Mmmmm…

When is FBC II coming out?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools