Topic

Video of a rainy weekend up in the San Gabriels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Video of a rainy weekend up in the San Gabriels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Ainsworth
    Spectator

@jainsworth123

Locale: Greater LA area

Me and a friend decided to head up to Chantry flats (San Gabriel Mountains) to do a quick overnight as it's been a while since either of us has gotten out. The closer we got to the weekend, the worse the weather seemed to be getting. It was now forecasting snow up at the top of wilson where we had originally planned to camp. Since my friend was sick we decided to stay a little lower at the first campground and just hang out.
    Our original plan was to hike up, watch the super moon, have some blue moon, and hang out. There was no one on the trial the whole way up there, and the campground was empty except for a small scout group that was up there for the night, but as gloomy as the skies and weather forecast looked, we had no rain the whole way. Got to camp, set up our site, put our beers in the stream, and started an early fire. Took a while to get the wood (that was drenched) going, but we got it started eventually and had awesome time sitting around the fire and hanging out.
    About 11 at night it started pouring up there, and the temps started dropping to about 30 degrees and I have to say the summerlite was awesome on it's own. We got a late start out (around 10), but I have to say any time spent up there is better than any weekend I can imagine down in the real world. No phone, no sounds of the city, no tv, just a good book, fire, friends, and beer. What more could you ask for.

YouTube video

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools