Topic

Which way to go in electronic gadgets: Camera, GPS, cell phone combos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which way to go in electronic gadgets: Camera, GPS, cell phone combos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Without my cell phone gadget, I probably wouldn't carry a camera, a cell phone, reading material, gps, games, altimeter, star map, radio, mp3 player, internet device, email, notebook, etc…

None of this is important to me, but since I can carry it all on a device that weighs only a few ounces, I can justify it.
    If you only turn it on when needed, you never run out of battery.

Charge it in town every now and then.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Depending on the trips that you do, your style of photography, and I'd imagine electronics in general, the biggest consideration for me was battery life. Aside from the weight, extra batteries are very very expensive.

If it was me, I'd go standalone camera, cell phone w/GPS (but likely not even bother with GPS and get the lightest cheapest cell phone), and ipod shuffle (best sound according to audiophile forums). How my gear feels, accessibility etc, when I'm hiking is a big consideration for me.

Also my gear serves double purpose for overseas travel, in which I try as much as I can to combine with backpacking. I find if I don't want to worry about bringing along a charger with mulitple adapters and 4-5 extra batteries for a 10 day trip, battery life is a top consideration.

Running out of juice midway between a trip sucks.

Are you sure, you're not going to want better quality photos?

I don't consider myself much of a photographer either, but I'm often awestruck by the views and want to share/proselytize. I'm more of a landscape vs wildlife person, so a wide angle is actually more important to me.

Going off topic, I just bought a Kindle 3. Haven't received it yet, but battery life was a deciding factor. I read a lot travelling/backpacking, especially solo. Historically, I"m also a poor planner so I end up scrambling, looking at bus schedules etc. I chose the Kindle 3 primarily as a book reader, but also because it has a "useable" web-browser, and free 3G access in over 100 countries. The battery lasts anywhere from one week to a month depending on how you use the wi-fi/3G and it;s 8.7 oz vs at least 1.3 lbs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: have a good idea of your intended use for electronics, and your proclivities, but in the meantime, you can't go wrong with using battery life as a top criteria for selection whichever way you go.

tim hower
    Spectator

@jeepcachr

Locale: Great Lakes

Is a cell phone as good as any dedicated device?

Mostly no but It depends on the device. They are getting close. My current phone is better than most of my previous cameras, GPS's, MP3 players, and has a faster processor with more storage than laptops and even desktop computers that I've previously owned. It get's longer battery life and better accuracy than my first GPS did. It can take and store more pictures than most of the digital cameras I've owned. It does better video and holds more of it than any video camera I've ever owned.

It can hold thousands of books, songs, pictures, and a good amount of video. With an 8mp camera it takes nice photos and even does HD video. It has a crummy flash but realistically how many shots need a flash outdoors? I can preload more guides and maps than I will ever use. If I have a cell connection it will give me live information on nearly anything, trail data, weather, news, whatever is important to me. It even has an FM radio if I'm out cell range and want to hear the weather or listen to music.

The biggest drawback I see is battery life and ruggedness. I'll be hiking this year with just the phone. Not all of us go into the woods to be cutoff. If my family couldn't stay in contact with me and I couldn't call to talk to my girls, I wouldn't be able to go out as often.

To the guy that just got his first cell phone with a 2mp camera and is amazed at what it can do I say welcome to the year 2000. It's 2011 now, you should really look at what the current phones can do.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

One thing that keeps cell phones from comparing to dedicated cameras is the lens size.
    They don't make a cell phone with the kind of lens required for decent distant photography.

So if photography is your thing, then you'll want a dedicated camera with optical zoom.

I used to bring a camera from time to time, but found taking pictures took away other aspects of backpacking so I tend to not bring a camera. But if I want to take a snapshot my cell phone will do in a pinch.

On subject of battery life, keep it turned off when not needed and the battery will last a very long time. Bring a spare battery or two and/or buy a larger sized battery.

As I stated before, you can save weight by replacing other gear with your cell phone.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Another use I have for my phone is to download instruction manuals etc. in PDF format for any equipment I may be bringing with me into the field. For example my altimeter watch's user's manual is readily available on my phone wherever I might be in case I need help setting some function or other (I can never remember which buttons do what on various watches).

The phone is a great place to dump all kinds of notes and info. From food or gear lists to bus schedules or entire guide books.

It's always best to know our plans and equipment thoroughly before leaving the safety of the trailhead, but I'm willing to bet that my brain isn't the only one that needs a little memory help from time to time after a long day out in tough conditions.

Oh and the phone makes a good backup flashlight, if not already mentioned.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I'd also like to mention my philosophy for phone batteries. I prefer a battery pack that runs off of AA batteries instead of another phone battery. this is because my headlamp and water purification run off of AA so this makes carrying fewer spares possible. Granted there is additional weight in the battery pack itself, for me it's an acceptable tradeoff

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I have to agree about not using ziplock bags. I've seen way to many electronics get ruined inside ziplocks.

They do work fine in normal conditions, but pressure can make them pop open.
    Brush against something, a fall in creek or puddle, … and it can get wet.

Although the Aloksaks aren't indestructible they are a far more reliable way to go.
    And they don't cost much compared to the cost of the electronics your trying to protect.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

An Aloksak is a ziplock bag, just thicker, unless you claim a more reliable seal.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Aloksak has for some strange reason a monopoly on the concept of waterproof plastic bags much like the Opsak supposedly does on odor proof bags. When you drill down in the reviews here at BPL and at Amazon I think you'll find that those "ratings" look like they were measured long ago and probably never challenged. I use them but I have a wariness about the seal and back it up with a clip it. I wouldn't trust my camera in one in any scenario involving a possible dunk. I wish it was all it claims to be but I doubt the claims and it has a definite life span. It should be tested on the Altar of Hydraulic Head asap.

James Moughan

@jamougha

The Motorola Defy is waterproof, and light.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

If I remember correctly Opsak and ALoksak are the same, made by the same company with the same patents, just marketed different.

Although they do ziplock, they are a hundred time more reliable than a ziplock. They do weigh significantly more, but that gives them a much better reliability.

Again, I think I have stated this before, I have seen many electronic devices die in ziplock bags, even double sealed.

I kayak with my cell phone in an Aloksak. Never had a leak. I do replace them when they start to get worn though.

One argument that I have heard is that water is not that much of an issue when backpacking. I think we know how wrong that thinking is:-)

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools