Topic

My New XPAC Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My New XPAC Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Raul Heras

@heras

Hello. Sorry i need help understanding something and as you are working with this material maybe you can help me. I have been researching about fabrics and i found this fabric with spectra and dynema either 210 or 500 depending for the zone, what i think im gonna use. Now, what i cant find is what kind of thread i need to use to sew all the stuff together. I mean, the fabric is strong that we know, but im not gonna use any thread, should i use dyneema thread to sew all together? I mean, wouldnt make sense if the thread is gonna be the first part to be damaged on a so strong pack.

what kind of thread did you use exactly and which types are usually used with this kind of tough fabrics?

THX and bTw NICE PACK!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I suggest a bonded nylon thread, about 50 – 70 gauge.

Cheers

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Raul,

Thank you for the kind words.

I used standard Gutermann 100% polyester with a stitch spacing of 8 stitches per inch on all of my packs except my first MYOG pack. On that pack I used 100% nylon heavy duty upholstery thread. It was a problem throughout that first pack. Since then I have used the Gutermann exclusively.

Roger has great insight into the textile world and I'd give credence to his recommendations also.

FWIW I did pop a few stitches (3 or 4) by one the shoulder strap attachment points due more to my rough handling than to the fault of the thread. I did an equipment shakedown 24 hour hike and jerked the pack up off the ground by the shoulder strap rather than lifting by the haul loop as I should have. Ultralight equipment does require a re-education in how you handle your gear.

I restitched the spot and have had no more problems after more test runs (walks.) ;-)

Do a little more research on the thread choice and ask Chris Zimmer what he uses on those beautiful packs that he makes.

Party On,

Newton

Raul Heras

@heras

Thx newton and roger!, now i have an starting point to keep researching.

I see you use Orange X-pac. ¿Where did you get that from? I only find blue and grey at extremtextil. One thing i personally dont like about this tough fabrics are that there are not many colors! I mean, i want survival stuff and i would like it to be forest green you know. Do you know if its possible to find X-pac in that kind of colors? i didnt find.

I heard dyneema and spectra grid can be dyed. Its just that the white lines will still be there. Do you know if that can be done with x-pac also?

best regards

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Raul,

I got my XPAC from rockywoods.com

Look for it under the heading All Ripstop Nylon Fabrics

Thank you for the source for the grey XPAC at extremtextil. I didn't know they existed and I would like to get some more grey XPAC!

I went to their website and it seems that they are in Germany! I am in the U.S.

Rockywoods is also in the U.S. which may not work for you.;-(

The only green that I know of for XPAC is "lime green". ;-)

"I heard dyneema and spectra grid can be dyed". … "Do you know if that can be done with x-pac also?"

I never tried dying XPAC. I don't know how or if it would work.

Party On,

Newton

Raul Heras

@heras

thx so much. By far the best option at that price.

Why do you wanna buy from germany, theres grey xpac at rockywoods.

It doesent say it has grid but i guess its just that has white grid instead of black as with kiwi, red and orange. right?

I think grey and black would work for must of the stuff i want to do.

¿What do you think about making a jacket of xpac with a soft liner next to skin so it is comfy? I need a versatile jacket for all year that is REALLY durable. Im just gonna wear that in my bike travel all days all year. Except when its too hot obviously.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Grey is not in stock at Rockywoods at this time.

Not interested in ordering from Germany. Does extremtextil have a US based outlet?

Info below copied and pasted from Rockywoods website.

"All of these XPAC have extra large black ripstop criss-crosses to really help prevent tear or hole propagation."

A jacket might well be durable as you say if not a little on the stiff side.

If you do the jacket be sure and post some pictures.

Party On,

Newton

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

John,
    Could you post what you are using for water bottles those in pix? Thanks, Sam F.

Al Nichols

@everready

Locale: Sh!^^% Ohio

He stated that they were peanut jars…….

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Hi Sam,

"BTW the bottles are recycled from empty Great Value or Shurfine peanut "jars". They have just the right size, ridges and mouth openings for use as an UL water bottle."

They are the store brand of peanuts from WalMart and /or my local neighborhood Associated Grocery store.

Their capcity is 26 ounces of water filled up to the bottom of the cap threads. Here's a hint, they're dishwasher safe but make sure they aren't being squeezed between other items in the dishwasher. The heat of the drying cycle will deform them if they are jammed between other items.

They weigh 1.65 & 1.95 ounces including the cap. Curiously the blue capped one is lighter. For comparison the 1 quart Gatorade bottle weighs in at 1.8 ounces. ;-?

FWIW use the ones with the blue cap. I tried swapping the caps and it appears to be the bottle that is heavier. Go figure! L O L

Party On,

Newton

Edited to confirm sources, weights and measures.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

John,
    Thanks for that info. Much lighter than the Nalgenes. Never would have guessed, and to think I regularly buy roasted peanuts at the markets. Hiding in plain sight. Sorry for the dumb question not related much to your excellent pack.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Sam,

The only question that is "dumb" is the one that goes unasked! It never gets to "hear" the answer.

For every question that goes unasked and therefore unanswered we unnecessarily limit ourselves and our understanding.

Thanks for asking and for the kind words regarding my pack.

Party On,

Newton

Christopher Wilke
    Spectator

@wilke7000

Locale: Colorado

Newton,
    I've decided this pack needs a name instead of My Orange XPAC pack. I'm officially opening up the naming competition, judged by you, to the forum.

Here's my two initial thoughts:
    1) Body Armor Pack (stops bullets from even leaving the rifle)
    2) The XPOW! pack

Chris

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools