Topic

Roomy UL tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Roomy UL tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I'm looking at getting a roomy tent that would have enough room for a second person. My wants:

1) Roomy, as I am claustrophobic.
    2) 44", or more, height preferred.
    3) As light as possible.
    4) I'll gladly pay extra for lightweight and roomy.
    5) Rainstorm worthy as I hike in the Adirondacks where it is always wet and rainy.

I've been pouring over many threads and many vendor websites such as TT, ZPacks, SMD and MLD. The Zpacks Hexamid Twin, MLD DuoMid, LunarDuo and TT Rainshadow2 all interest me.

Any other suggestions? Any thoughts to help me narrow it down would be appreciated.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Tarptent Double Rainbow or Scarp 1?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The Lunar Duo is roomier than the Tarptent Double Rainbow.

OP, you keep using the pronoun "I". Are you actually planning on sharing the tent — or you just want a 'palace for one'?? If the latter, then I highly recommend the Tarptent Rainbow. This is the ROOMIEST solo tent by far that I know of. Two people can easily sit cross legged inside and play cards. It can sleep two actually, and is a veritable palace for one. I don't really think you need to go all the way up to either Double Rainbow or Lunar Duo.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

I have both the DR and LD. The LD is noticeably more spacious. Ultralight floor option can save a few ounces. The DR has the optional inner liner which may help combat condensation/misting. The various mids are nice too but the space is utilized differently, so that's a matter of preference. The quality of all of the above shelters are very good. It's nice to have so many options.

If having plenty of "livable" room is your primary criteria the LD should be high on your list.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

MLD Supermid, Oware and other larger pyramid or tipi.

Of course, if your like me, you'll find over time, that you prefer a shelter that is just big enough.
    Sometimes the comfort of the hike is more important than the comfort when lounging/sleeping.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I have one of these and debated with myself about getting the light weight floor vs the normal floor.

I emailed ron, and he told me with the lightweight floor I needed a ground sheet, with the normal I did not.

I just went with normal as I didnt see the difference in weight, and why fool with two parts when I could have one.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I have a North Face Tadpole that is quite a few years old. I find that having to stay in a tent of that size is very difficult as I feel like I'm in a nylon coffin. That's why the more classic one-person tents like the Moment or Sublite wouldn't work. Great tents but ain't happening with me. Too bad.

I mention "I" even though I also mention 2 person tent. I'm single and I want something that will still work if I bring along someone else. Otherwise I am dovetailing the tent for excursions with just me and I don't want to do that.

The LunarDuo seems to be the one I go back to but am a bit concerned about the weight. I'd love to get a cuben tent for two but haven't found exactly what I want.

I'd be all over the Zpacks Hexamid Twin but the netting on the bottom has me puzzled. I could add a ground sheet but would much prefer a more standard format tent in cuben. The Lightheart Duo in cuben is another one thought but the headroom is only 42".

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

If you want headroom, you can almost stand up in an Oware Alphamid. The MLD Duomid is only a little shorter.

They are both roomy one person tents or tight two person tents. If you want headroom, they are some of your lightest options.

I have the Oware Alphamid and love the almost 5.5'(1.7 Meter) of headroom and easy pitch.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

My wife and I are happy enough with our Tarptent Squall 2, but if doing it again I'd be looking at the lightheart duo. The Squall 2 meets your height requirement, but the height is at the tent entrance, so you have to sort of scoot your butt up to the door to sit upright if you're tall, and my wife would prefer to have individual side entrances as the lightheart duo has. And of course, the latter is a double-walled tent.

Weights are quite similar; the Squall 2 is 34 oz, and the Lightheart duo listed at 2 pounds even (both not counting stakes or groundcloth and not seam sealed). The lightheart duo might or might not be tall enough for you. I just got my hybrid cuben Lightheart solo in the mail and set it up yesterday and it's plenty tall enough for me. I'm 5'10" but am long in the torso, so I tend to look taller in comparison to average when I'm sitting.

Anyway, you might have a look, at
    http://www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Duo.html

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Brian – could you provide a few more thoughts about the cuben Lightheart you just got?

Eric Carlsen

@cooleric1234

Speaking of the Double Rainbow, anybody have any idea when it will be in stock? It's not listed on the Ordering page like the other tents. If it's a few months that's one thing but the Sublite Sil, for instance, says it won't be in stock for the rest of the year. If it's a similar situation that kind of limits the options. I sent an email but haven't heard back yet.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There is still a "scratch and dent" LD under "Bargains" at SMD right now; might be worth looking into for the price.

Also, you might want to invest in a 2-person tent and then start looking at other solo options. Going solo allows you to push your limits a bit w/o worrying about anyone else's comfort. As long as your needs are met (heat/bugs/cold/wind/whatever), then having multiple shelters can be a good thing.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Eric
    For the third time this year TT lost power in Nevada City.
    They had another storm with 2 feet of snow that brought some power lines down .
    The DR is just waiting for a slot in the production line.
    Should be about 2 weeks away from now.
    Franco
    [email protected]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools