Topic

Advice: Okay to Bleach Merino Wool ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Advice: Okay to Bleach Merino Wool ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Got a few pairs of Injinji toe socks at a steep discount – due to the "Lavender" color of them – and while I have nothing against the color purple – I'd love to "tone them down" a bit….BUT not if tossing them in a gentle laundry load with bleach would hurt the wool…anyone know if bleach hurts wool ?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bleach bad. Look for dye remover.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Bleach is definitely bad for wool. I'm a spinner and knitter, and raise my own sheep for wool. Bleach will really break the fibers down, so if you value your socks, don't use bleach. Go to http://www.prochemicalanddye.com, and click on the link for discharge supplies/color removal. The first product, deColourant Discharge agent, is labeled for protein fibers like wool, and they have a statement specifically stating that it will not damage the fibers. If there are any high-tech coatings on the fibers to reduce stains, improve wickability, etc, then it may not work as well, or stripping the dye may alter the performance of the fabric.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Thanks to Dale and Diane for the advice – I'll be sure to get a proper dye remover so I don't destroy the socks :-) Thanks again !

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

Diane's comments are correct.I would also add that another important issues is actually what the manufacture's dye process is,in conjunction with dye blockers and such.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools