Topic

Choosing size for Alpacka rafts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Choosing size for Alpacka rafts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ian allen

@ianallen

Based on Alpacka's web site, my dimensions straddle the fence between the Yukon Yak and Denali Llama.

My height, (185cm/6'1"), indicates the Llama, but inseam ,(37"), suggests Yak.

I'm leaning toward the larger Llama, but wanted to check if there is likely to be any major disadvantage if the boat is a bit on the large side?

(Obviously, the bigger boat IS a bit heavier! Please let me apologize in advance for any suggestion that I'm prepared to consider factors other than weight in making this choice!! Any offense is completely unintentional and I apologize unconditionally!!!)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

37" inseam? I'm assuming this was a typo.

Disadvantages of bigger boat: packed size, weight, could be worse in moving water if you can't brace against the bow with your feet.

Advantages of bigger boat: mo' stable, mo' room to carry stuff, more leg room = more comfort on long flat stretches.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Based on my experience I'd go for a comfortable leg fit. At 6'4, with a 35 inch inseam, the Llama is just right for me. By just right I mean that I am comfortable, with knees slightly bent, paddling for extended periods, with my feet right up against the front. Your legs are part of the boat's frame (per Alpacka and my own experience), giving the raft both rigidity and stability. Unless you are comfortable with knees higher than natural (or at least what's natural for me), I'd select the longer boat.

Cheers, Richard

Dan Ransom
    BPL Member

@carpeybiggs

Locale: Wasatch

i've had a yak and now have a llama. i'd say llama without a doubt. the yak was too small for me. i'm 6' 0" 175, 32 inch inseam for comparison.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i use an alpacka and peter is 6'. the legs (mine .. actually) stick out on both sides of the pack. this is reasonably comfortable over many hours. eventually, you will freeze out and need to stop. afterdrop can be a real issue.
    there is no need to a bigger boat to carry more weight, as you can't submerge the small one with what you can carry.
    i have no knowledge of white water, only sissy smooth floatings, and i use a sevlor paddle split two ways (15oz total).
    alpacka's ROCK.

v.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Peter – Have you packrafted any spots in Northern California?

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

I have a 31" inside leg length, and worked on the basis that I could always pack some (weighty) gear in a drybag and stick it between the soles of my boots and the inner hull tube, giving me a good, braced position, and some low down weight on the bow.

Choosing the Llama gave me the advantage of additional space, capacity and comfort, all in all a win-win situation.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Just scored a lightly used Yukon Yak after lusting after one for years! Sitting in it on my living room floor, I've got 2-3 inches of space between my heels and the front of the boat. Have done a moderate amount of kayaking and always wanted my feet jammed tight against the footpegs to get more feel and control. Shouldn't the packraft fit the same? Thus I need to sell this and find an Alpaca? Say it ain't so!

I'm 5'8", but my legs are kinda short, 32 inch pants are usually long on me. Any advice?

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

John,

I think you'll be OK in the shorter raft. If necessary you can bridge the gap with your pack or other gear. Even in whitewater I haven't found that I needed to brace myself against the front.

Have fun – you'll discover how addicting packrafts are!

Richard

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools