Topic

CURRY: paste v.s. powder

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition CURRY: paste v.s. powder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've used small packets of Indian curry paste with couscous & chicken but never curry powder. The paste won't keep long like the powder.

That being the case I just bought curry powder.

1. Is powder as good as the paste or is it marely a brand & taste prference thing?
    2. Should I try adding anything to the powder like cumen to liven it up?
    3. Is there any cook book reference with good curry recipes? (Or do you guys have any recipes using curry powder?)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

What is in the curry paste you are using? Reason I ask is that many curry pastes that are base ingredients are shelf stable no matter what the English on the side tells you.

This is true with both Indian and Thai curry pastes…..

Now though if they contain milk or coconut milk that is different.

As for curry powder it comes down to taste and experiment at home :-) I use a couple different versions and also make my own from base spices.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

The most distinct difference is that most curry pastes use fresh components such as fresh herbs whereas dried curry powder is just that, dried. If you compare a Madras curry powder to Madras curry paste you'll find that the flavor of the paste is more intense. Curry powder can quickly lose flavor and you'll notice that most Indians create and grind their powders almost daily. Toasting the spices before making the powder can develop the flavors. Curry paste is ready to use because it already contains ghee or other suitable oil. With powder you'll have to add that.

When looking at the differences between Thai curry powder and Thai curry paste the differences are somewhat similar. The paste is generally ready to use and contains fresh lemongrass, oils, and sometimes coconut milk.

What I use depends on what I am making. Sometimes I will bring the paste on the trail because it works out the same weight-wise if I have to carry extra fats for the powder.

In most cases, the flavor of the pastes are better for some recipes. It's a preference thing and highly individual. I'd recommend trying both (at home) and seeing which you like more.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

LAurie.

I had some curry paste that went rancid in 6 months while still sealed in its plastic packet. I'll still use based on your recommendations about its better taste it but refrigerate it until ready to use.

Guess when I use powdered curry I'll add a bit more to get the correct taste.
    This summer I'll be backpacking the southern half of the Colorado Trail at altitudes often reaching 12,000 ft. so every gram counts. Powdered curry for that trip and shorter, lower trips will be paste curry.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Six months is pretty long for curry paste. I usually pick it up close to when we are leaving. Often I make the dish at home and dry the whole thing, paste and all, and use it in the first week or so of the trip.

Wesley Witt
    Spectator

@weswitt

Locale: Northwest

What I do is buy the little cat food sized cans of Thai curry paste from my local Uwajimaya and then dehydrate it. After dehydrating I process it in a food grinder and I have a very nice Thai curry powder.

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

I found a packet of "Indofood GULAI" at 99 Ranch Market. It is a powder(? haven't opened it yet), but the ingredient list looks good: Coconut milk, shallots, herbs, salt, garlic, vegetable oil, sugar, spices Flavor enhancer (yeast extract), antioxidant (tocopherol). You get pretty far down the list before you hit the chemicals.

I see that there's a 99 Ranch in Las Vegas. There is plenty of interesting stuff to try at a place like that.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

BTW, if I haven't mentioned it before: If you live in an area with no ethnic food sections go check out importfood.com – they carry a wide variety. Disclaimer is I worked for them for a couple years – but if you live in Ohio you could come to love them ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"What I do is buy the little cat food sized cans of Thai curry paste from my local Uwajimaya and then dehydrate it. After dehydrating I process it in a food grinder and I have a very nice Thai curry powder."

Genius idea!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

John,

I was showing my Filipina wife your link to Ranch 99 in Las Vegas. Her first comment was, "If you go there be very careful. That store was where I had my wallet stolen!"

So thanks for the link. That store is in 'Vegas' Chinatown. I'll try it (and hide my wallet).

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

hahaha, I'll start watching my wallet in the local stores.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools