Topic

Best Alcohol Stove For Paramo Ecosystem.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Best Alcohol Stove For Paramo Ecosystem.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Manuel Espejo
    BPL Member

@manuel-espejo

Locale: La Cuchilla de los Santa.

during my experience hiking in the Paramo ecosystem in my homeland Colombia, i test various stove set-ups: a Old Campingaz stove and a MSR Whisperlite International, i hate this 2 systems: is difficult to find Gas Canisters in Colombia, and the Whisperlite is a heavy mess. So I switch to alcohol stoves, is easy to find industrial alcohol, and all my meals are just boil water type, light and mess free.

I got a Fancy Cat Stove(Skurka Type)and a E2E Thru-Hiker stove, for the wind shield a MSR stove windshield (from my old whisperlite), the pot is a Evernew Ultralight 1.3L.

i want to update my kit, so any info about a good alcohol system to boil water in wet & cold conditions in a altitude of 3000 m between 5000 m.

Excuse my english.

p.d: i don't want to melt snow with this system.

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Locale: Western PA

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by changing your setup? Are you looking for something new and different or are you trying to cut weight. The Evernew pot you have will work well with pretty much any alcohol stove out there because of its wide base.

I have experienced very poor results personally with a titanium cup mated to most any alcohol stove. Here is a link that has a wealth of information when it comes to alcohol stoves. http://zenstoves.net/ My personal favorite is this one, http://zenstoves.net/ZenStove.htm

Manuel Espejo
    BPL Member

@manuel-espejo

trying to accomplish performance,.

Antti Peltola
    Spectator

@anttipeltola

Cold + 5000m (16400 feet) is really pushing the alcohol stove, IMO. If alcohol stove would be good choise for mountains, MSR would be making one.

I personally would take the Whisperlite in your situation – I know, I'm heretic :)

Edit/
    and that's only because you say that canisters are difficult to get.
    /End of edit.

But if the alky is a must, then I'd use something that has pre-heating to combat cold + maybe higher pressure than the Skurka-model. Maybe penny stove? The pre-heating gadget could be similar design that is available for Trangia as an original part, it heats effectively as the heat comes directly at the bottom + it insulates the stove from the ground. There is also a sponge in Trangia's pre-heater to hold the alky a little longer than just having it in a cup; It continues to warm the stove when it is already lit, this improves the output a lot – hopefully not too much for pressurized models.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I like the MYOG Penny Stove:

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/

There's also a link there to order one already made. I haven't tried it at altitude, but other comments on that site state that it works well. One person stated that they tested it on Mt. Whitney at around 14000 feet (4267 m), and it worked.

I've boiled 2 cups of water at around 3:30-4:00 minutes.

Manuel Espejo
    BPL Member

@manuel-espejo

i think the Whisperlite is for long time on a glacier or something like that. i don't want the stove for melting snow or camping over the glaciers. if I pretend to bivy in the glacier I just take a pocket rocket with a gas canister, but gas canisters for the Pocket rocket are difficult to get in Colombia. i use the E2E Thru Hiker at the Santa Isabel glacier border (4800 meters) and it work, i boil some water and make a hot infusion called "Aguapanela" is evaporated sugar cane with lemon and ginger. but i want a stove that can be used mainly between 3000 meters to 4500 meters. I want to boil some water under a tarp under serious conditions (rain and wind) so i need performance and a safe flame( i don't want burn my self in a silnylon tarp).

again, excuse my english.

Manuel Espejo
    BPL Member

@manuel-espejo

I find the Penny stove wind shield to weak, maybe a Trail Designs Caldera Cone System, but this last one will work at high altitudes?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools