Topic

woman’s list?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists woman’s list?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Miguel,

Very well put.

lynda schroeder

@lyndasch15

With any gear list you have to use common sense. I crib from male gear lists, but have not found one that works for me all the time. It depends on what time of year I'm hiking. (I live in the Great Lake State so temps vary widely) Where I'm hiking, and my goal for that hike. (do I want to really want to go ultra light? do I want to fish? or paint?)

Many gear lists are created by people who live out west, and have drier weather, and fewer insects. When I first started out I have followed lists and realized some pieces of gear work for me, and some not so well. I keep a trail journal, and write down what does and doesn't work for me. When I pack for the next trip I refer to my journal.

A good general list usually works for me all the time. The one I use the most is found in the book "Lighten Up!" by Don Ladigin. I amend it if my goal for the trip dictates otherwise.

Down is great for insulation, but I have to think before I pack my jacket. What will the humidity be. It's humid here. If I'm in the LP then down will usually work, if I'm not too close to a lake. Close to a lake, synth insulation is my choice.

What I'm trying to say. You need to hike and keep track of what works for you and under which conditions.,

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

People change as well. In my 20's I would sleep in 50* bags and carry nearly nothing for insulation. Not anymore. I am severely cold nearly all the time now.

Mostly due to severe anemia I developed with the pregnancy of my second child and that hasn't/most likely will never go away. Even day hiking I carry extra clothing now in my pack and in the vehicle. A 15* bag year round is many times not enough.

Many women are colder – doesn't mean every single one is though. But…where women DO get cold is pretty much standard – feet, hands, behind, stomach, hips, chest, head. So I always carry a hat, gloves, extra socks and a warm jacket and nowadays….insulation for my legs.

As for the time of the month – ya know it never bothered me. Nope. Never. Until I ended up anemic. I can barely function during those days now. I don't hike much during that point. If a woman doesn't want to go out during her period, it isn't a sign of weakness – it is her preference.

At the same time my husband who is a foot taller than me can run around in short sleeves and shorts and be fine and I am chattering cold. So often now I borrow his clothing if I get too cold.

As for the rest of my gear? It isn't much different than what a man would carry – it is just made for a shorty ;-) That and I always have a roll of TP with me. Just my thing. Guys might not want, some ladies do (especially if the woman in your life gets bladder infections easily TP is a good thing). And yeah, no under insulated sleeping pads, only the bestest for my ice cold spine!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"This is silly. The insulation needs among women are just as varied and subject to individuals as they are for men."

I guess this is true, but I've found when I'm really in touch with my feminine side, I tend to sleep colder……

Martha S.

@kitfox

"Hi yall, I've been trying to find some women's gear lists to give me more idea's for my GF. So far all i've found is Piper S's. so can someone show me their list, or thier GF's list? we wouldn't do any winter hiking, but if you have a winter list pleast post it, solo, or couple, I'm just curious. Thanks."

I've never put together a comprehensive gear list except in my head — but I have a few general comments that may or may not help:

Most important for me, and of course this depends on the woman in question, I find that items made specifically for women work far better than men's versions or even so-called "unisex" items (meh!). YMMV.

A unisex jacket will have too-long arms for example, or be too tight in the hips and too blousy in the body, etc. Same with rain pants, etc. — too long, too tight in hips, etc. The last thing I want to be doing is struggling with my clothing / gear in the middle of a trip.

Same for my sleeping bag and my backpack – in my experience a pack with closely-placed shoulder straps is desirable, and a bag with more room in the hips (again with the hips!) is more comfortable.

Speaking of packs, I have less shoulder strength than most of my male companions, so I accept the extra weight of a hip belt and ultralight internal frame of some sort in order to shift the weight to my… you got it…hips!

To be more specific:

Rain Jacket — Marmot Precip
    Insulation — Montbell
    Winter bag — Feathered Friends Winter Wren
    Summer bag — Golite Adrenaline 1+ season

All are women's versions.

I go backpacking much more often than my husband does so I try to travel as light as possible. My non-wearable gear includes:

Golite Lair 1 tarp. (Just got a Cuben tarp but have yet to use it)
    A Polycyro (sp?) groundcloth (very lightweight)
    Big Agnes mattress
    REI UL45 Women's backpack — rides VERY well. I cut a lot of extras off to save weight.

Still looking for a titanium pot… that's all I can think of for now, hope it helps.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

The gear list for a woman should be pretty much the same as any guy's list.

Women tend to get *slightly* colder a little quicker than men. Especially their hands.

SO, simply add this:

+ warmer thicker gloves
    + a slightly warmer thicker puffy insulating parka
    + A layer with a nice hood, or add a neck gaiter – or a balaclava

Women might need an extra change of underwear. Even if they do NOT expect their monthly cycle to impact the expedition, the exercise may change their cycle. And, if they are camping with other women, they may all get their cycle on the same day! (this is very common!) Having three pairs of underwear is safe. One for washing, one for drying, one for wearing. Cotton is recommended, but by no means required.

Also – I have seen a lot of men on this forum say something to this effect: "I would take a tarp, but my wife simply won't go camping unless we have a full tent."

I have taught plenty of women ULTRALIGHT camping skills on long format courses, and there is absolutely no difference for them and men when it comes to sleeping under a tarp.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Isn't the OP really asking for female specific gear that works? Clothing, packs etc…?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Many women find men talking about women's periods to be on the top 10 creepiest thing men can do. Even when it is a male OB/GYN doing the talking.
    YMMV of course.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Many women find men talking about women's periods to be on the top 10 creepiest thing men can do. Even when it is a male OB/GYN doing the talking.
    YMMV of course."

Many men find women having periods one of the top 10 creepiest things a woman can do. Even when it is a female OB/GYN having the period.
    YMMV of course……"

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Well, I… ehh…

That's j- ummm…

NVM

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Yikes – Did I start the "creepy" thing here? I sure hope I didn't talk too plainly.

I teach for NOLS and I have had to talk with a lot of women students over the last 17 or so years.

What I shared was what women instructors have told me. I think it's important to just say it, because it's a question that comes up, and there is a worry about the topic being embarassing.

(okay?)

David Ure

@familyguy

I think Mike's post is especially valid. I must say I just learned something and hopefully will have enough guts to speak to my wife about this when we head out into the wilds….

Doug – I am still wiping away the tears…..

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mike,
    I didn't find anything wrong with what you wrote,the only thing creepy is people who are creeped out by periods.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

"Mike,
    I didn't find anything wrong with what you wrote,the only thing creepy is people who are creeped out by periods."

I would not force anyone to talk about menstruation, but it should definitively be ok for anyone to address this, if it's not a done in a demeaning way. As far as women synchronizing their periods, recent research ( now quoting Scientific American) " says that evidence on that is pretty spotty…. "

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

So THAT'S why some forums have women-specific branches!! BPL should create one too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"" says that evidence on that is pretty spotty…. ""

Did anybody beside me catch the pun? Or did I just imagine it? Only the report writer knows… ;-)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ben,I sincerely hope that you are joking.

Tom, I thought it was funny, I mean punny : )

Anonymous
    Inactive

"And we snuggle together at night when we need more warmth. The only way!"

+1 And Bob thinks it's complicated. What could be simpler?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Tom, I thought it was funny, I mean punny :)"

That's the spirit, Kat. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Tom, I thought it was funny, I mean punny : )"

Whew! Thanks, Kat. That's good nuf' for me.

tommy d

@vinovampire

Now, allow me to make everybody uncomfortable by introducing the concept of rectal cooling rates….

Sci Sports Exerc. 2009 Aug;41(8):1633-9.
    Differences between sexes in rectal cooling rates after exercise-induced hyperthermia.
    Lemire BB, Gagnon D, Jay O, Kenny GP.

Laboratory of Human Bioenergetics and Environmental Physiology, School of Human Kinetics, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Abstract
    PURPOSE: We evaluated differences between sexes in core cooling rates during cold water immersion after exercise-induced hyperthermia.

METHODS: Ten male (M) and nine female (F) participants, matched for body surface area-to-mass ratio (AD/M) (F: 268 +/- 19 vs M: 261 +/- 16 cm2 x kg(-1)), were recruited for the study. Participants exercised until rectal temperature reached 39.5 degrees C and were subsequently immersed in a 2.0 degrees C circulated water bath until rectal temperature decreased to 37.5 degrees C. Rectal and mean skin temperatures and the relative rate of nonevaporative heat loss (W x m(-2)) were measured continuously during the immersion period.

RESULTS: Males were heavier, had a lower body fat percentage, and had a greater amount of lean body mass compared with females (P < or = 0.05). Significant differences were found in the overall cooling rate for rectal temperature (F: 0.22 +/- 0.07 vs M: 0.12 +/- 0.03 degrees C x min(-1), P = 0.001) and in the overall immersion times (F: 10.89 +/- 4.49 vs M: 18.13 +/- 4.47 min, P = 0.003). Mean skin temperature was lower in females compared with that in males during the immersion period (P < 0.001), although there were no differences between sexes in the rate of nonevaporative heat loss (P = 0.180).

CONCLUSIONS: Although females had a similar AD/M and greater body adiposity, they had approximately 1.7-fold greater rectal cooling rate. Because AD/M and body adiposity do not seem to influence rectal cooling rates in previously hyperthermic individuals, the greater cooling rates in females may be attributed to physical differences in lean body mass.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I don't know Tommy, people here have been dealing with me on these forums for a while now, they're used to someone acting rectal….

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

So the only difference in kit a woman needs is insulated underwear?

And yeah- Doug is the coolest rectum I know! ;)

—-These must be the posts that everyone wants to exclude from their searches.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"So the only difference in kit a woman needs is insulated underwear?"

Nah. She just needs to remember not to sleep in a puddle of cold water, or use 1/2" neoprene long johns if she does.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools