Topic

tarp coverage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping tarp coverage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

What size tarp do most people use for rain coverage? I'm brand new to hammocks and I would like to make a sil tarp rather than buy one. I mostly hike in SoCal mountains and the sierras – not a ton of rain.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You could probably get away with this. Pics lifted from Backwoods Daydreamer site. Simple project. I like mine.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Ken,

Do you have the asymm or rectangle tarp? Did you reinforce the corners in any way?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Asym. I sewed patches in the corners. Just like the green parts in the pattern.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Look at the lack of strap needed on the tarp in the picture a few posts above. There isn't a gap between either end of the tarp and the trees. Did the designer size his tarp to fit those trees? How long do you have to look for a pair of trees that are the perfect distance to fit your tarp for a photo? When was the last time that your tarp diagonal fit exactly between two trees?

Not trying to be silly, it is just an amazing fit. That is a SUL length of tarp rigging.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

the straps are holding the hammock up, not the tarp. you can clearly see the straps going under the tarp to the edge of the hammock on the both sides – with a blue 'biner on the left. but yes, that is a tight fit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools