Topic

Homemade gear goes ice climbing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Homemade gear goes ice climbing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

Some pictures of some of my homemade gear getting put to work on a recent ice climbing trip in New Hampshire. I haven't shown any pictures of these items before, so let me know if you want more detail about any of them!

Me cold chilling on the descent:
    myog ice climber1

the crew getting ready to head out:
    myog ice climber 2

and this is not from this most recent trip but it's the same pack I climbed with:
    climbing pack

and here's the pack I used for the approach, also from a different trip (please don't ban me from BPL for this size of this pack):
    big pack

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

Very nice to see some homemade gear in action! I really like the gaiters and the Gore-Tex pants. What did you use for a pattern for the pants, they look great. How did your homemade gear preform in the field, as well as you were expecting or anything you would go back and change? It looks like you were getting some good use out of them.

Marty Thompson

@technical76

Locale: Central Illinois

Very nice. That last pack kinda looks like something nutnfancy would use on a 2 day bivy hike:)

Chad Lorenz
    BPL Member

@chadl

Locale: Teton Valley, Wydaho

I'd be really excited to see more pics of the tech hoodie and goretex pants! Great job! Time to start machining you own ice screws :)

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

As requested, more info and pics!

The Gore-Tex pants were made using Peter Rabenold's Controlled Exposure pattern, CE55, with a few modifications:
    -used waterproof zips on the pockets and removed the flap
    -created a gusseted crotch and used the red material along the whole inner leg (the red is a Gore-Tex N2S (next to skin), which has a tricot laminated on both inside and outside of the membrance. The idea was that it would be more breathable there. Honestly I have no idea if it really is because I haven't done anything to really test the two fabric against each other.

As with most things I make, I am about 80-90% satisfied with the first version. For example, the pants move pretty well, I like the pockets, I like the suspenders, I like the venting, but if I were to go back and make them again I would make them just a tiny bit bigger around the waist because they just little tight when I have a couple layers under them.

The gaiters are also from a Controlled Exposure pattern. I'm pretty happy with them, but I used a regular nylon web for the underfoot strap and tried to uber-waterproof it with silicone glue, but it still gets wet if I am in slushy snow, and then it can refreeze into this awful ball of ice under my foot. Next pair I will use some kind of totally waterproof strap material.

I'm actually 95% happy with the hoody – I like the snug fit, I love the hood, and the pockets make my hands happy, but I think I put the pockets just a bit higher than necessary. I wanted them out of the way of a hipbelt or harness, which they are, but I think they could be a couple inches lower and still clear.

The small pack I'm very happy with. After I made it I thought of an easier way to make a lid flap, but the one it has works really well as it is.

The big pack is about 85% there – it weighs about 2.5 pounds and carries about 50 lbs comfortably. With some thicker foam in the shoulder straps I think it could carry about 65 lbs comfortably without adding much weight. I do really, really love the Cilogear-style ice tool holders, and the front haul loop is probably my favorite pack feature ever – every future pack I make will definitely include one.

As for homemade ice screws…maybe after homemade cams, hexes, nuts, and rope…

On to the pics!
    pants front
    pants back
    hoodie
    hoodie pocket
    pack

Peter Fogel
    Spectator

@pgfogel

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

Andrew,

YOU…….. are my Hero!!!

Peter

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools