Topic

My Summer List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My Summer List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Marc Mensing

@soldierspike

Locale: Southwest

I just posted up a new gear list in my profile, and would appreciate some input on it.
    Caveats:
    1: I will not wait for chemical purification, therefore I use a water filter.
    2: Southern Arizona has an abundance of sharp pointy plants and the ground is generally very rocky, thus I bring a small shovel and toilet paper.
    3: I carry ALOT of water because I sweat enough that I will go through that amount in a 4-5 hour span.

This list is set for solo camping, although I occasionally will be going with a small group.
    Generally be camping around the Tucson, AZ area, maybe with some trips further north.
    Weather will be warm to hot (90*+)
    Trip lengths will be about 3 days, although the only thing I can think of to change is the amount of food carried.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

you have a gatewood cape- I'd use this as my raingear, replace the Mica w/ a true windshirt @ ~ 4 oz- it's going to breathe a heck of a lot better than the Mica and it's lighter (w/ a decent DWR it will even do for light showers)

you list two sets of gaiters- one worn, one packed- I say nix the ones in the pack

if you plan on hiking at night keep the headlamp, if not consider a e-lite or other ~ 1 oz lamp

for your cookset- consider aluminum foil for a lid, the "frying pan" adds a fair amount of weight (I have a similar SP 900 and nixed the "frying pan" in lieu of a light lid)

look very carefully at your first-aid kit, probably could shave a oz or two there

if you need a "shovel" – a DIY pvc or titanium shovel can save several oz

4 way screw driver – necessary?

body glide can be repackaged, 5.5 oz of Dr B's is way too much for 3-4 days- more like a 0.5 oz

water takes a fair amount of volume, but I used a Exos 46 for a week long trip in NM where we had to carry a lot of water (occasionally as much as 4.5 liters) and wasn't short on room- for a 3 day trip I'm sure you could by w/ less volume

no need for any insulating layer? in NM we saw nighttime temps drop into the 30's- a light down jacket was most welcome in the evening and mornings, maybe a vest would be sufficient for where you hike- I'd want something

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hi Marc,

Here's my my input:

GSI Coffee cup – I would nix this and use your pot.
    Marmot Super Mica – Redundant given poncho tarp.
    Osprey HydraForm – Consider using 1L Aquafina bottles in the side pockets of your Exos. Would save 8oz even if you brought 3 to match 3L capacity.
    Digital camera – I always look at the weight of my camera on my spreadsheet and think, "I don't want to carry an extra 6oz!" But really, IMHO it's worth it to look back and remember your trip.
    Trowel – Use a stick and save 5oz.
    Screwdriver – For what? I would nix.
    Garmin GPS – Do you really need this? You have a compass.
    Dr. Bronners – repackage in dropper bottle and save 4oz.
    Spare batteries – How long are you going out for? It wouldn't be the end of the world if you had no headlamp for a night or two.
    Bandana – You listed this twice. Do you need 2? I just bring 1, wash it out every night, and hang it on my tent to dry.
    Gaiters – Why 2 pairs?

Looks like you could save 1.5-2.5 pounds by deleting / substituting a few cheap things. Food for thought.

Andrew

Marc Mensing

@soldierspike

Locale: Southwest

Thanks for the comments.
    Mike:
    Regarding the Mica: On a recent trip at about the coldest I'll be at with this list, I had my baselayer (MH Wool Shirt) a BPL Beartooth hoody and the Mica over top, combined w/ a pair of possumdown gloves this was nice to about 30-35*, so an insulating layer isn't needed for me.
    The 2 sets of Gaiters: I've had issues with sand getting in my shoes and causing horrible blisters/abrasions on my feet, therefore I always wear the Dirty Girl gaiters, the other ones are knee high and mainly to protect my lower legs from the local flora, as nearly all of it is pointy, and I've got 2 tattoos that I'd rather not get scratched into illegibility.
    The headlight and frying pan lid:
    I hadn't considered these before, definitely something to look into, thanks
    First aid: I'm sure there's somewhere to cut a few ounces here, not sure till I scrub it though
    Screwdriver: it'll be removed when I change trekking poles (useful for tightening up the BD flicklocks)
    How exactly does one repackage bodyglide?
    Yeah, it's probably a bit overkill on the soap.

Andrew:
    Yeah, nixing the cup would be nice, but it's also how I measure water.
    The side pockets on the Exos already carry 2 liters of water in gatorade bottles
    Trowel: sticks here either have thorns or have been scavenged by people insisting on fires
    GPS is kind of a comfort item, I use the map & compass more often, but the GPS is there as a safety net and to double check my land nav skills
    Yeah, spare batteries probably shouldn't be needed, but they're kinda like the first aid, I'd rather carry the 3.2 ounces and have it in case I need it.

Thanks again for the input.
    Marc

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

you can put some in a small container like this http://www.ultralightdesigns.com/products/packing/miniJars.html

or easier yet a 1/2 oz bodyglide http://www.amazon.com/Bodyglide-Advanced-Technical-Formula-45/dp/B00027CDKQ

your using the Mica for warmth, a windshirt would provide as much warmth for lighter weight and can be worn while hiking if need (w/o sweating out); a 4 oz windshirt + a 4 oz down vest would be much more versatile for the same weight- given that you already have raingear

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

insights & feedback
    ===========

The osprey pack is pretty heavy, 40 oz is a lot. Plenty of lighter options. A goLit JAM (with some trimming) is HALF the weight.

8 oz for a cook-set? What is in the cook-set, this is unclear. If you are solo camping, this is a LOT. A solo-mug is plenty.

The headlamp is a little heavy, and there are nice options at ruffly 1/3 the weight (the petzl e+lite is excellent)

Fire-steel – NIX and use a mini-bic, with paper book of matches as backup.

11 oz for a HyrdraForm 3L? That is way too much for something that justs holds water. A 2+ liter platypus is about 2 oz. Nix any tube and just drink from a bottle.

NIX the poo-shovel and just dig a hole with a stick or pointy rock.

NIX the iPod

NIX the screwdriver

NIX the GPS, and just use the map & compass.

Trim the first-aid kit. I bet just repackaging it in a ziploc baggie will save a lot of weight.

A thin plastic 1-liter water-bottle from the gas station weighs is less than a Gatorade bottle.

Just take the tall gaiters and leave the Dirty-Girl set behind.

Is the small BodyGlide mini-stick really 5 oz? Repackage it in a salve jar, and apply with your fingertips.

CHANGE your cook system to alcohol. THe min-fancy-feast cat food can is all you need. Much lighter than the butane set-up. Then you can NIX the fire starting kit, and just use a few drops of alcohol fuel.

No need for spare batteries.

less than 1 oz of Dr. Bronners is plenty, repackage.

REVISE the line titled "PPACK WEIGHT" to read "BASE WEIGHT" because the proper definition of PACK WEIGHT includes the consumables.

===

Okay, I know you said you want to keep the heavy filter –
    – – – BUT – – –
    I would advocate NIX'ing that 13.9 oz water filter. You can filter the brown water with a 0.5 kitchen funnel lined with a bandana, and then treat it with AquaMira drops. The waiting time is very short, and there is no taste issue. The time it takes to pump 3 liters is about all it takes to purify the water.

I have done a LOT of desert hiking, and I do it with only aqua mira and a simple funnel filter.

.filter

Kevin Cody

@codycolor2

Locale: Los Padres NF

Depending on how technical in measurements. If you are filling up in fluid ounces using your measuring device and fill to the 1 or 2 fluid ounce mark poor into your pot/mug etch the inside of the pot/mug where the fluid ounce mark is and keep going up as desired.

Chip chip cheery-oh

Clint N.
    Spectator

@cnewitt

Locale: Utah

If you only need the ipod for music and don't mind giving up a little functionality, you can save 4+ oz. by switching to the iPod Shuffle. It also has the advantages of being tiny, costs about $45 and saves your expensive iPod from possible damage from backcountry use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools