Topic

Fast and Light Winter Travel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Fast and Light Winter Travel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Fast and Light Winter Travel

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

Beautiful photos and video, wish I could do that.

Re the sleeping bag – I think you could lose at least 100 grams and be warmer by switching to a WM bag or something of similar quality – their 10F bags are actually lighter than the REI bag.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Wonderful photos. Now I'll guess I will go back and read your text!

Dan Healy

@electricpanda

Locale: Queensland

…fantastic report! There is nothing like racing to focus on kit and technique and this one is classic! Very interesting reading for a warm weather endurance racer – that level of cold is so alien and so intriguing!

Luc Mehl
    BPL Member

@lucmehl

Regarding boots and VB socks…

I think we move too fast, produce too much sweat, for VB socks to work. We wore VB socks in leather boots the first year and all got horrible blisters and minor trenchfoot. None of us has touched VB socks since. I like being able to wring out water and dry my socks a bit sleeping with them at night.

I peeled the fabric off of one thermofit liner to compare water absorption. After a long day trip with no gaiter, the bare liner was 80 g lighter, ~50 g due to the removed fabric, and ~30 g due to water weight. I really like the idea of not carrying that water!

Intuition makes a bare mtneering liner, but can't make a bare ski liner. I'm not ready to take scissors to my new liners, but as soon as they lose that 'new shoe' smell, I'll strip them down.

-Luc

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Luc, I'll be interested to hear if removing the lining fabric results in more friction, and possible problems. Might be able to deal with that (if it happens) with two thin socks.

Luc Mehl
    BPL Member

@lucmehl

Friction hasn't been a problem for me, wearing a single pair of ski socks. I peeled the fabric layer off the top of my insoles and that has been fine too. I just want to get as much moisture out of the boot as possible.

Dwight G
    Spectator

@diveslot100mac-com

Locale: Southcentral AK

Incredible trip; well written, enticing photos.
    Congratulations.

Adam Andersen

@aalasso

Looks interesting, but the link is broken. I guess an updated one would be:
    http://bedrockandparadox.com/2010/10/31/ski-gear-for-backcountry-traverses/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools