Topic

My first DIY pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My first DIY pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Marty Thompson

@technical76

Locale: Central Illinois

Hello all, I'm constantly reading and learning on this forum but this is my first post. I've been backpacking seriously now for about 3 years and decide to upgrade some equipment this year to shave some weight. Started with a new pack. Material is 1.6 oz. ripstop silnylon with .375" foam padding for the hip pads and shoulder straps, as well as a rectangular pc for back padding and added rigidity. Total cost was about 35 bucks, and it weighs in at 20 oz. total. The pack I've been using was a golite odyssey that is an AWESOME pack but a tad too heavy at 54 oz..i haven't attached the sternum strap yet...drawstring closure at top.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Marty,

Nice pack.

Welcome to the MYOG community. Be aware that MYOG is an addiction and that there is no cure.

There is only the therapy of constantly making new gear or modifying your existing gear.;-)

What kind of material did you use to make your water bottle pockets?

Party On,

Newton

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice looking pack, nice job

That's too bad you now have the addicition

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

Great work, Marty. Welcome to the community of crazies!

I've got a fever…

and the only prescription…

is more MYOG…

Marty Thompson

@technical76

Locale: Central Illinois

Thanks for the comments guys. The material for the side pockets was recycled from an old walmart starter dri-fit shirt, which is surprisingly strong given it's elasticity. I was wrong about the fabric weight of the main pack, it's 2.2 oz ripstop sil, not 1.8. i'm taking it out tomorrow for a test run, but i've already found some flaws, mostly problems with not transferring the weight to my hips properly. and this myog stuff is VERY addictive, working on my 40 degree sleeping bag now, copied from a big agnes bag (horse thief). Then onto my tent, which will be an Appy Trails clone (kind of). All of these projects will shave 5.4 lbs. off my total, and save me buku $$$$$! I love this forum!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools