Topic

How many BPL’ers wear KILTS?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How many BPL’ers wear KILTS?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

kilt

Christopher Holly

@climber72

Locale: At my desk

So,

Went on a bit of a bush whack this weekend near Mt. Lowe in the Angeles National Forest. I will refrain from saying where, for when we finally made it out there was a sign stating the trail was closed. Unfortunately for us, the sign was only on one end…

Anyhow, I recently purchased the Mtn. hardware Elkommando kilt. I had the obvious reservations about wearing it, but let me tell you, it was a dream! Nature calls were new again! The boys were comfortable in the humid 70 degree canyon and no monkey butt!

Me + Kilt + Body Glide = Happy Hiker!

Thanks to all for the input as I made the decision. I will try and write up a review of the kilt and post in the Gear Reviews. Best piece of kit I've bought in a long time!

Douglas Wolf
    BPL Member

@munnin

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Picture from Memorial Day weekend trip, worn with Merrell Trail Gloves. This combination served me very well on some knee deep fords.

At Laurel Fork, showing off the Trail Shoes, kilt and sporran

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Can anyone give their opinion on if the ElKommando can be hemmed? I have very short legs for my height and it's been stopping me from trying a kilt. At the standard length I'd be swimming in it.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Wow…i started a fashion trend with those Tim Marshall sporrans :)

With the ElKommando, I added some fleece on the inside of the waist band to cover the snaps that were rubbing on my skin. Two little squares of fleece and it feels great now.

Spelt,
    I have the opposite problem…mine is just a bit too short when i sit and the lame modesty snap pops open. I am going to add a sturdy toggle for when i am in "mixed company".

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I'm surprised they didn't use something more secure than a snap. With material that light there's no way it'd drape correctly like a regular kilt.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

I'm pretty sure you could hem it easy enough. It looks like standard stitching about 1 cm from the end.

Matthew, you definitely got me into kilting thanks to your initial post and I've been out on half a dozen trips in it, taking me from snow to 90 degrees. I love it. More people should try it out, particularly in the summer. I got in on Doug Wolf's Tim Marshall sporran order so the two of us (three, including Jason who got one of the earlier not so perfect versions of the sporran) have been rocking the complete get-up over here on the east coast.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Evan,
    Glad to hear it. Now if i can only get you into a hammock:)

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Now if i can only get you into a hammock:) Hey Evan – that's not an offer you get everyday

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

I guess i had that coming. You Hobbits are a pretty quick witted bunch.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

You know, I'd consider using a hammock but there really aren't trees in the mid-Atlantic.

(Joking.)

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Trees are not a problem here in Oregon, just finding a large enough suspension sometimes:)

Mike Young
    BPL Member

@klackamas

Locale: [email protected]

How cool to come upon this since I have been wanting to try out a kilt for hiking! Does anyone know of a kilt that sits at the waist? Anyone have an old kilt they want to sell cheap?

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Mike,
    Most modern kilts tend to sit at the waist, ie; Sportkilts, Utilikilts, Mountain Hardwear ElKommando, etc. For a cheap traditional kilt, look at the Stillwater "Thrifty" kilt line. They really can't be beat for performance/price.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Stillwater-Kilts/SWK%20Thrifty-Kilts/

M

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Last weekend in the Three Sisters Wilderness, Oregon.

kilt

kilt

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

M,

Cute video, but after viewing it I have to point out that there are a few items missing from that cat.

Are you talking about going those extremes in an effort to go SUL?

Ouch! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

the Elkommandos are being produced again and just ordered one through REI w/ my dividend, looking forward to giving it a go :)

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

Thank you for the info Mike :-)

I tried to buy the MH kilt in different shops (mountain hardwear shop & altrec) but they don´t ship the kilt overseas

Someone knows a shop that send this kilt to europe ?????

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Carlos- I'm pretty sure REI ships overseas and they have it on sale :)

Mike

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

Thank you again mike

Of course Rei was my first option but only small and XL left :-(

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

I've been kilted on the trail for about four months now. I have a pair of Stillwater Thrifty Kilts, one in the "Irish National Tartan" (never mind that the Irish never actually had a tartan; mom's matrilineal line was of Irish extraction) and one (my anniversary gift this year; I think maybe Mrs. FLRider is trying to say something) in the "Black Watch" tartan. I like both, but the Black Watch is a lot less loud of a pattern (I wanted something a little more subdued but am not Scottish as far as I know, so the Black Watch was a good compromise).

I have to say, they definitely help with ventilation. I still wear compression shorts underwear underneath the kilt while hiking in order to avoid chafing, but the amount of airflow over a pair of regular running shorts is surprising. Also, due to the fact that they don't have to touch your body as much as shorts, they can be made of acrylic fabric. That dries much more quickly than any other piece of clothing I own, including my "quick dry" polyester athletic tees.

So far, I'm a fan.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I am kind of puzzled when you say, "I still wear compression shorts underwear underneath the kilt while hiking in order to avoid chafing, but the amount of airflow over a pair of regular running shorts is surprising"

My observation is that running shorts allow far more ventilation than compression shorts even with nothing over them. Perhaps we wear substantially different running shorts? A pair of Nike DriFit or similar running shorts with a 5" (or shorter) inseam are pretty close to being naked when it comes to ventilation.

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

I wear pretty much bog-standard Starter athletic shorts (7.5" inseam; they drape at the knee) when I'm not in the kilt. They still require compression boxer/briefs when worn to avoid chafing, so the increase in airflow with a kilt is significant when temperatures are above 80 F. Especially so when it's humid.

My reason for this is that I find a fresh set of undies every day holds down certain…hygene issues…associated with hot-weather hiking. I try to wash my day's pair before bed and hang it off of my tarp's ridgeline to dry as much as possible overnight before packing up in the morning.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools