Topic

JMT 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists JMT 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'll be trying to get my permits tomorrow.
    Looking to go solo on the JMT North>South starting late June/early July. I want to do it in under 10 days without resupply…snow levels permitting.

Roughly when do the first PCT hikers make it through the JMT high passes?

Anyhow, my gearlist is under my profile. I might still add my Camp XLA210 axe and 210 crampons or microspikes…depending on reports as we get closer.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Craig, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the permits from Yosemite, ( Happy Isles and Lyell Canyon ), are booked solid from early June to 24 weeks from today. You can check on trailhead availability on the Yosemite website. The good news, is there is a 'work around' if you are willing to do a slight detour at the Happy Isles TH. You can get your permit from Happy Isles to Illouette Falls, then backtrack the 3 miles to the JMT junction and on your way. The permit rangers get a 'snitty' with this method, but it is legal and there are usually spots left for that option. You start at Happy Isles, hike to the top of Nevada Falls, then head to Illouette Falls. The next day you would have to double back to the JMT. You can take your chances on a walk-up, but be willing to wait in a long line the night before the permit station opens. I will be doing about the same pace as yourself, only leaving in mid-August. If you have any questions on this slight route change, you can PM me for more info.

There will be trails cut on all of the high passes from the PCT hikers by then, but with our snow this year you will have some snow travel, particularly around Muir Pass.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

On the permits, I know….I'm not planning on entering Happy Isles, that's permit madness.

With further thought, I might go South>North instead and enter just passed the Whitney Zone (I've been there so much I'm not concerned about skipping it). I really don't want to deal with walkup permits; I'm certain I could get an entry permit for Shepherd or Kearsarge today and exit Happy Isles.

I figure there will be a lot of snow still, I'll likely bring the axe and spikes just to be able to avoid waiting as long for it to soften.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

It is all weather dependent of course, but in an average year it looks something like this.

Ray Day is June 15th. The bulk of the hikers will try to leave Kennedy Meadows (South) by then. There is a smaller group that leaves earlier and breaks trail through the snow.

By the July 4th weekend many (most) of the PCTers will have reached Yosemite.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Cool, just got my permits today.
    Entering Kearsarge Pass, exiting Happy Isles, skipping the Mt. Whitney permitting fiasco.
    I was supposed to do this trip last summer but broke my arm skateboarding a few weeks before I was supposed to leave.

I've got too much food on my gearlist now as I'll likely only carry 1.5 lbs/day and finish this trip in 7.

First Last
    BPL Member

@snusmumriken

Locale: SF Bay Area

Why not take advantage of the food resupply opportunities along the trail?

You could stock up at Muir Trail Ranch, and then a little more each at Reds Meadow and Tuolomne, all right along the trail. At your pace of 20-25 miles per day and restocking several times you could get away with carrying very little food in your pack. Maybe go with a smaller bear can as well.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

When are you leaving? I should be passing through there right about June 22nd if everything stays on schedule.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools