Topic

Panasonic Lumix GF2 -Thoughts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Panasonic Lumix GF2 -Thoughts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

I'm currently using the Canon G11. I'm wanting something that produces better quality photos. The G11 does a pretty nice job, but not quite to my standards.

My concern is the 14mm lens that comes standard on the GF2. I think I'd be happier with the 20mm that comes on the GF1. I could always go with the GF1, but at the cost of size and losing a few features I think I would enjoy.

Does anyone have experience with this? I would appreciate any input in this matter. Thanks.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Juston,

The lens is partly a matter of preference–wider and slower for landscapes; longer and faster for more of a standard lens. Neither seems to have OIS, which I'd want for myself. DPR seems to prefer the 20 for its sharpness and speed.

As to which body, a lot of that decision revolves around whether you'd like the GF2 touchscreen. It has a few other advancements (stereo sound) but doesn't seem to be significantly better, more incrementally. FWIW I've seen some very cheap GF1 kit prices, so if I could find one for sub $400 I'd budget the difference for the EVF or another lens.

Cheers,

Rick

Levon Jensen
    BPL Member

@levonjensen

Locale: Canadian Rockies

i think the "top" "normal view" camera to beat is the brand new http://www.finepix-x100.com/ fugi x100

1000usd i think, 3 built in ND filter for almost every outdoor shot,

i was going over the gf1. gf2 compact camera thing, i decided on the fugi but ran out of money so it will sit on the wish list for now :D

Awesome new sensor, some of the best IQ, the lense was made specifically for the camera,

If not buy the gf1 and the 20mm , gf2 seems like it went in the wrong direction. also by the time you buy the EVF your almost at the same price as the fugi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools