Topic

GoLite Peak modifications

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear GoLite Peak modifications

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    John Paul Krol

@warcry

I was wondering if you folks could help me with some issues that I had with my GoLite Peak pack.

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=352005110

I just got it last week and really enjoyed using a smaller capacity pack. I got quite used to my Granite Gear Vapor Trail on the AT last year, but have been in an effort to get base weight down to ~12 lbs.

There were two things that I wanted to change to make it a bit more user friendly (at least to me). I was going to add some thin padding to the hipbelt. With 5 days of food and ~25 lbs, the weight was not transferring as well to my hips as my GG (obviously, given it's much more sparse frame) – but it also cut into my hip pointers, since the strap is much thinner than I am used to. Does anyone have any tips on attaching maybe some old thermarest foam to the inside of the hipbelt?

I was also thinking about making a lid to this pack. I really liked how the GG Vapor Trail cinched and rolled down, thereby making it more 'waterproof' in rain. This pack has the same design, but it's a bit less functional because of it's smaller capacity. I figured a removable lid would give me a bit more space (2-3 L) and act as protection from the elements. I was thinking about sewing on some grosgrain straps to the pack and using snap buttons to make the lid removable. I was thinking silnylon or some other heavier duty nylon for material. Has anyone tried anything like this?

Any tips for a first time tinkerer would be appreciated!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools